Quantum vacuum decay?... what?

I was reading a few articles about random quantum stuff I'd love to say theory or fact or something like that but it's more a hobby not a profession but one that seamed a bit interesting was the vacuum decay theory that the universe could basically just be destroyed by an excitement in the boson field that would realease the pent up potential energy from bosons and expand out at the speed of light "destroying" the universe so in that I have several questions (sorry for the grammar)

What is vaccum decay?

What is the boson field?

Could vacuum decay actually be a fundamental driving force of the universe that explains relative time or am I missing some important information and this question is nonsense?(more specifically could everything be expanding at the speed of light at different relative rates and that be a product of the kinetic energy of the boson field from the Big Bang)

More importantly though I just want a lesson on the in depth parts of boson physics if that's what it's called and don't know where to look for the "accurate" information about a science that seems to be quite fluid.