Dialysis tubing

Primarygun

Dialysis tubing is a transparent, selectively permeable layer. It is artificial.

If we pour some sucrose solution into it, the sucrose molecules cannot escape as they are too big to do so.

What happens if we boil the dialysis tubing? I think sucrose cannot pass through the layer either since the layer does not consist of living tissues/cells which contains living cell membrane destroyed the heating.

Am I correct?

Living or non living has nothing to do with whether or not sucrose can diffuse across a membrane. You'd have to consider several factors: the thickness of the tubing, the expansion of the membrane, ability to burst ect.

Dialysis tubing is a transparent' date=' selectively permeable layer. It is artificial.

If we pour some sucrose solution into it, the sucrose molecules cannot escape as they are too big to do so.

What happens if we boil the dialysis tubing? I think sucrose cannot pass through the layer either since the layer does not consist of living tissues/cells which contains living cell membrane destroyed the heating.

Am I correct?[/quote']

You're talking about the tubing that actually work as an artificial kidney?

I don't know whether the material has changed, but this link http://people.hofstra.edu/faculty/sina_y_rabbany/engg81/kidney.html says the membrane used originally for dialysis was cellophane (cellulose acetate).

If that is still the case, it contains organic components, even if they are combine with non-organic ones. I would think that boiling the tubing would cause the cellulose to break down.