Help with Planet science

KittySnickers

So I am creating a fantasy world for a book that I am trying to write. However, my world is a planet and I need it to work in real world science. I love science, particularly physics and planet science but my brain is about the size of a walnut, so though I enjoy it, I struggle to understand it a lot of times. I have a few questions and I was hoping someone could give me a simple answer to them.

Questions about the Poles. I know that the poles are to do with the axis of Earth and the magnetic poles but my questions are.

Does a life supporting planet need poles and why?

Do the poles have to be cold?

Do they both have to be cold?

Questions about the planets core

What are the workings of the planets core?

What kind of things can make up a life supporting planets core?

Rotation of the star

Currently my planet is arid in the south west - tropical in the west - temperate cold in the north west - cold in the north - tropical in the east and temperate in the south and south east.

How would this affect the planets star?

My planet has two moons, one large, one small, how would this affect the tides?

Thank you in advance and please use small words.

• 3 weeks later...

Does a life supporting planet need poles and why?

Do you mean 'polar ice caps'? Because you can't have a planet that doesn't have poles, unless it's rotating erratically, that is.

Don't think you need them specifically. Earth had multiple periods when there were no ice caps and had plenty of life.

Do the poles have to be cold? Do they both have to be cold?

No and no.

What are the workings of the planets core?

Liquid outer core and solid inner core consisting mostly of iron with some additives like Ni and S (mostly in outer core). Rotation of the Earth creates currents in the liquid outer core that result in magnetic field.

What kind of things can make up a life supporting planets core?

Being able to create magnetic field. Being hot.

Currently my planet is arid in the south west - tropical in the west - temperate cold in the north west - cold in the north - tropical in the east and temperate in the south and south east.

You have to give more details about planet's hydrosphere in particular. This will dictate weather patterns and presence/absence of different climatic zones.

My planet has two moons, one large, one small, how would this affect the tides?

This will depend on orbits of said moons