Linux Stock adn investing

1veedo

I want to invest. Not really a lot of money, just a few shares. And I've decided to invest in Linux! :cool: I've looked for some "linux stock" but really havn't found much.

http://www.bullsector.com/linux.html

I don't know what most of the symbols are though.

First thing's first: How do I buy stock? I'm pretty sure my bank can do this but not possitive; and, I dont knwo if they charge. Next time I'm out I'll ask somebody there. I know I can sign up at a couple websites I've found, but I want to just buy more or less "directly." In other words, I do not want to pay $6 to buy $20 in stock.

I've looked at "LINUX" and it's been going up, but who exactally is LINUX? VALinux or something...never heard of them but they're associated w/ sourceforge. I know Novell is like NOVL and Red Hat is RHAT.

So if you were going to buy stock "in linux" waht symbol would you use? Accordingto Yahoo, RHAT is 11 and NOVL is 6.

And to finish things off...What are some good investing resources? I know about yahoo finances, and I found this newsletter called the Monthly Fool. But what do you find usefull?

id go to the companys site to find the symbol. dont forget though that most linux distros are not companys, but communities. so you will only find commercial ones like mandrakesoft (now mandriva), and others like redhat.

you buy shares through your bank, providing you are over the age of 18 and have a current account with them. they will charge you per transaction in most cases.

http://www.reuters.com/ is a good site for market things, including risk level of investment. and if your age coresponds with your profile your stock will have to be in your parents name, unless amercian law is different.

dont forget though that most linux distros are not companys, but communities.
That's why I was asking "waht company." I know there are a couple comertial distros but there are also companies that back up Linux and mail CDs...I just want to know who people would invest in for Linux.

PS: I'm under 18 but I can buy in my parent's name here in the US :)

There are some linux companies. None that I'd invest in (I think they are contrary to the spirit of linux, but I guess there are worse companies to invest in).

I believe you can find Red Hat/Fedora on the stock exchange, along with SuSE (although they were acquired by Novel, so I don't know how the stock was affected).

Maybe some others too. Best check out the websites/forums of distros like Gentoo, Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware, Yellow Dog, etc.

Actually, I need a new computer. I'm about to start a thread in the comp. sci. about a motherboard that looses power!

Btw, I didn't find a website under your sig? Not that I want to invest but if you make computers w/ Linux on them...

It's a possibility over making a new computer. (I never ever want to buy another computer; they come w/ windows and therefore M$ gets 100~200 of my money even though I'm never going to use it)