PCR reaction

Hey guys,

was wondering about the problems involved in PCR reactions on the agarose gel.

Was wondering what the problems were when you get smearing on the gel.

I have it listed as a problem with annealing temperature or mgcl concentration.

Are there any other reasons as to why you would get smearing?

thankyou

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry. I'm very new to all of this.

What I am hoping to find out arethe problems that cause smearing of the bands on the agarose gel.

eck.

Ohhh... I apologize, I didn't understand your question. The answer is yes. If the genes don't amplify properly then the banding could be smeared, as if you just loaded DNA in the sample instead of PCR product.

You should run the PCr reaction again, varying the annealing temperatures, etc. That might work for you.

Also, look up some online resources, a lot of that sort of info is already documented.

man... if only i had access to these supplies. damn my high school. lol

I know what you mean... my school has absolutely no equipment for even slightly advanced labs. Our electrophoresis lab consisted of paper, cardboard and glue.

Guest BizBomb

my school is pretty rich so we got to do quite a few pretty good experiments, but never PCR. We did a pretty good electrophoresis lab, and we got real results too. It took a really long time though.