truly 'unique' disorders?

Dak

how many psycological disorders are truly unique to their sufferers?

what i mean is, most mental disorders (as far as i can tell) involve mental prosesses/phenomena which aren't unique to the sufferer, rather are more pronounced in the sufferer than in non-sufferers.

egs: dyslexia: some people are heavaly dislexic. others are just 'bad at spelling/reading'

schitzophrenia many people hear voices, oftern expressing thoughts that the person disagrees with, but can ignore them/accept them as normal mental prosess

ocd i always have to check my front door to make sure its locked, oftern having to go back from a few meters from my door to check, even tho i know its locked - arguably an ocd tendancy (and pissing annoying), but i dont have ocd and it doesnt manifest itself in many other ways. yet people with this tendancy much stronnger have ocd.

so do any disorders involve a mental phenomena which is unique to the sufferer and not present in the general populance?

how many psycological disorders are truly unique to their sufferers?

what i mean is' date=' most mental disorders (as far as i can tell) involve mental prosesses/phenomena which aren't unique to the sufferer, rather are more pronounced in the sufferer than in non-sufferers.

egs: [u']dyslexia[/u]: some people are heavaly dislexic. others are just 'bad at spelling/reading'

schitzophrenia many people hear voices, oftern expressing thoughts that the person disagrees with, but can ignore them/accept them as normal mental prosess

ocd i always have to check my front door to make sure its locked, oftern having to go back from a few meters from my door to check, even tho i know its locked - arguably an ocd tendancy (and pissing annoying), but i dont have ocd and it doesnt manifest itself in many other ways. yet people with this tendancy much stronnger have ocd.

so do any disorders involve a mental phenomena which is unique to the sufferer and not present in the general populance?

I take what you're saying as proof that these are easily preventable mental suppressions, i.e. highly plastic. That's why genetics would seem more an afterthough or a distraction when speaking about them.

nooooooo, im saying:

being bad at spelling = being bad at spelling

being very bad at spelling = dyslexia

---

hearing voices = hearing voices

hearing lots of bad voices = scitzophrenia

ie the condition is a phenomina that is present in 'normal' people but cranked up (i know there vastly over-generalised, but hey)

are there any psycological conditions where the mental phenomena isnt present in 'normal' people, albeit at a much lower level?

sorry for any unclarity

nooooooo' date=' im saying:

being bad at spelling = being bad at spelling

being very bad at spelling = dyslexia

---

hearing voices = hearing voices

hearing lots of bad voices = scitzophrenia

ie the condition is a phenomina that is present in 'normal' people but cranked up (i know there vastly over-generalised, but hey)

are there any psycological conditions where the mental phenomena isnt present in 'normal' people, albeit at a much lower level?

sorry for any unclarity[/quote']

Yeah, I haven't responded to your question yet. But my comment stands...

Yeah, I haven't responded to your question yet. But my comment stands...

aah, i misread you first post. i read " i take it what your saying is..."

i guess thats one way of looking at it... its really not the same thing though.

well, i have taken numerouse dyslexia tests and 'scored' everywhere between heavily dislexic and just plain ol' cack at spelling, so i assume, at least with dyslexia, that the symptoms are present in the general populace just at a lower magnitude

I would further add those who are on the autism spectrum to the list, both low function and Asperger.

That's interesting because autism reminds me of Solipsism, a highly regarded philosophy of mind that other minds don't exist...

Plus people have problems attending to others' beliefs & feelings and I would agree that Autistics are simply an extreme suppression of intentionality for this attention.

I get what you mean.

that an overt form of any natural mental process looks like a mental illness.

well that makes sense.

it's more about balance than if a process exists or not.

people aren’t suffering form an illness,

their normal processes are out of balance,

producing an illness.

ps a friend of mine has the door checking problem.

I really start to get p o'ed when he takes ages to get out of the house.

Ps Ramin.

I really dont think the world is what you make it.

the world is the world, you live in it, get used to it.

First you eat, then you think.

you can eat without thinking, the reverse will not happen.

I like the old stapler test, to figure out what has priority. (reality or your impression of it).

Ps Ramin.

I really dont think the world is what you make it.

the world is the world' date=' you live in it, get used to it.

First you eat, then you think.

you can eat without thinking, the reverse will not happen.

I like the old stapler test, to figure out what has priority. (reality or your impression of it).[/quote']

How are you relating any of this to how I think of the world? What is it that you think I'm wrong about? Do you know what potentialism is? What about situated cognition and social factors?

Ramin