monk

A buddhist monk makes a usual journey up the mountain. He leaves at dawn from the bottom and arrives at the top just in time to see the sunset, stopping a number of times along the road to eat and meditate. At the top he rests the whole night and leaves again the next morning at dawn. During his way down he stops along the road to meditate and eat and arrives at the bottom in time to see the sunset. At which point along the road did the monk cross at the same exact time both days?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A buddhist monk makes a usual journey up the mountain. He leaves at dawn from the bottom and arrives at the top just in time to see the sunset, stopping a number of times along the road to eat and meditate. At the top he rests the whole night and leaves again the next morning at dawn. During his way down he stops along the road to meditate and eat and arrives at the bottom in time to see the sunset. At which point along the road did the monk cross at the same exact time both days?

I suppose the point you mean is the endpoint of the road at the top of the mountain

I assume that sunset and sunrise happen about the same clock time, like

he gets to the top at sunset (say 6 PM) and he leaves from the top at sunrise (say 6 AM) and so he is at that point at the same clock time 6:00 on each day

the SIDE of the road is what he crosses on the morning of each day at dawn

because he has to come out of his house at dawn the first day and GET OUT ON the road, so he crosses the side

and likewise on the second day he comes out of whatever shelter or cabin is up there and gets out on the road at dawn, so he crosses the side of the road then too

im having trouble believing this has an actual answer... maybe a play on words.

If you interpret the riddle as crossing the same point at the same time twice heading in the same direction, then yes you may be right. I think razorfane means crossing the same point at the same time going in opposite directions, which would mean there has to be an answer. Now figuring out that answer poses the harder problem.

Razor, you said that his being a Buddist monk is significant, did he somehow use his prayer beads as a marker of time or something? But that doesn't explain this "blend" thing. :confused:

yes, there has to be a spot, but there is no way to prove where that spot is. with the facts he gave us it is impossible to prove that he is at the same place at any given time on the two days. what if on the first day he went 3/4 of the way, then stopped and meditated for an hour, then finished, and on the second day he went 1/4 of the way and then meditated and finished his journey? if he goes the same pace and starts at the same time he meet at a certain point. if he stopped in the middle on each day it would be an entirely different point. we dont know when he stops or what pace he goes at so the question is impossible to answer.

yes, there has to be a spot, but there is no way to prove where that spot is.

I see. So either: -

1. You read the answer but didn't understand it
  2. You didn't read the answer, but you think that you've guessed it well enough to comment

Great. Thanks.

good work. that post was just barely not a worthless pile of shit. your response to my post was nothing but an insult directed at me, it wasnt convincing anyone of anything.

you have already stated that there is no answer (without bothering to put any thought into explaining why). i made a post where i tried to explain WHY there is no answer. if you dont like that keep it to yourself. read the title of the ****ing web page.

so... i guess you really have nothing worth hearing to say. you get a special honor, first name on my ignore list : P

I see. So either: -

[*]You read the answer but didn't understand it

[*]You didn't read the answer' date=' but you think that you've guessed it well enough to comment

[/list']

Great. Thanks.

Actually, when Callipygous said, "yes, there has to be a spot, but there is no way to prove where that spot is..." I believe he was answering my comment, therefore in my eyes, he was not wasting my time. So if anyone wasted your time, it was me.

What I agree was a waste of time was reading the answer, which having skimmed it, I don't understand.

yes, there has to be a spot, but there is no way to prove where that spot is. with the facts he gave us it is impossible to prove that he is at the same place at any given time on the two days. what if on the first day he went 3/4 of the way, then stopped and meditated for an hour, then finished, and on the second day he went 1/4 of the way and then meditated and finished his journey? if he goes the same pace and starts at the same time he meet at a certain point. if he stopped in the middle on each day it would be an entirely different point. we dont know when he stops or what pace he goes at so the question is impossible to answer.

Good work Callipygous! (I went thru a similar picture myself to be sure that the point cannot be located, although we can see that it must exist). So perhaps we agree that razorfane's statement was flawed and can be corrected this way so that it has an answer.

A buddhist monk makes a usual journey up the mountain. He leaves at dawn from the bottom and arrives at the top just in time to see the sunset, stopping a number of times along the road to eat and meditate. At the top he rests the whole night and leaves again the next morning at dawn. During his way down he stops along the road to meditate and eat and arrives at the bottom in time to see the sunset. IS THERE A point along the road which the monk crosses at the same exact time both days?

and then the answer, which Callipygous gave, is: Yes, there is such a point.

Cp. I am sorry about the rude foaming at the mouth of one of the other posters and think what you propose might be a wise use of the "ignore list". I shall consider doing the same

so... i guess you really have nothing worth hearing to say. you get a special honor' date=' first name on my ignore list : P[/quote']

excellent idea. I tried the same thing. It is easy to do and makes the thread much more reasonable and coherent! thanks for the suggestion.

not wanting to leave the thread on a sour note, here is another problem.

here the world is represented by a perfect sphere with radius 6400 kilometer, and there is a rubber band around the equator.

so the length of this rubberband is 2pi x 6400 km.

now you come with a stepladder and grab the rubber band at one point and raise it up, stretching the rubber band

you raise that point of the rubberband up by a height H and the question is by how much have you stretched the rubber band?

Suppose, for definiteness, that your stepladder is half a kilometer tall. So you raise that point of the rubber band up by 500 meters.

Now this is what I want to know: by how many meters did the band stretch? How many meters longer is it now?

wow... im in calculus and i dont have the faintest clue how to even start with that...

ill think about it.

well, maybe it is too hard, or not the right kind of problem to be asking.

would your rather pose us a puzzler yourself, instead?

it is, in a sense, your 'turn' (since you answered the last one) if you care to take it

because I want you to have some closure on this, I will say that a true monk is able to go up the mountain without ever leaving.

It's part of their enlightenment.

they bring all places together at the same moment.

so the answer is.....

"always", or everywhere .

:D

Why not just say 'there is no answer' and save everybodys time? :D

I loath people who post puzzles with no answer.

The answer is in understanding the mental process of the "merge".

that has a lot more value (to me anyway) than what the monk did to kill a few days.

wow... im in calculus and i dont have the faintest clue how to even start with that...

ill think about it.

I'm thinking, start by removing all the distracting Cr**.

it's not a sphere, its a circle.

it's not a rubber band, its another circle.,.

it's not 64K it’s just 64.

and so on.

I have herd this one before, and the answer was surprising to me.

man, three post's in a row. what a post hog.

I'm thinking' date=' start by removing all the distracting Cr**.

it's not a sphere, its a circle.

it's not a rubber band, its another circle.,.

it's not 64K it’s just 64.

and so on.

I have herd this one before, and the answer was surprising to me.

man, three post's in a row. what a post hog.[/quote']

Hi reverse, please answer! I am pretty sure you will not be able to get the right answer. So surprise me :)

dont worry about spoiling it for others, you prob'ly won't anyway.