Lebanon a Sign?

Pangloss

It will be interesting to see how this goes. The angle I'm wondering about is the idea that a rapid pullout by Syria may end up becoming an example of why the US should NOT pull out of Iraq early.

Is your angle that the US troops act as a positive force in the region provoking the spread of democracy and reigning in despotism?

That's not my position in general, but I'm wondering is whether that might turn out to be the case here.

Just as a side example, I think the evidence is good that, contrary to a lot of opinion in the west, the Iraqi people have a strong self-motivation towards both peace and democracy. One of the most dangerous jobs in the world right now has to be Iraqi Policeman, and yet those guys are signing up in droves and they say it's not the paycheck, it's their patriotism. They sign up in LARGER numbers after every terror attack. It's one of the great stories happening in the world right now.

That wouldn't be possible without the US troops on the ground right now. That doesn't mean that the US presence *caused* that patriotism, but it does mean that we've enabled something to happen.

Just as a side example' date=' I think the evidence is good that, contrary to a lot of opinion in the west, the Iraqi people have a strong self-motivation towards both peace and democracy. One of the most dangerous jobs in the world right now has to be Iraqi Policeman, and yet those guys are signing up in droves and they say it's not the paycheck, it's their patriotism. They sign up in LARGER numbers after every terror attack. It's one of the great stories happening in the world right now[/quote']

I agree. It is interesting that the media ignores the good news coming out of Iraq, how the 'insurrency' is failing, the Iraqi people are rallying to their democractic government and even the Sunnis are openly stating it was a mistake not to be involved in the elections and demand to be part of the democratic government..

That wouldn't be possible without the US troops on the ground right now. That doesn't mean that the US presence *caused* that patriotism, but it does mean that we've enabled something to happen.

True, words are all very well, but when troops are sent in it gives a much more convincing message. The US government has earnt a lot of credibility, when it talks of overthrowing despotism and advancing democracy everyone knows it is not just rhetoric, the US really means it, unlike when the US was led by the first Bush, who stood back and allowed Sadaam to crush his opponents.