Sexual reproduction and Asexual reproduction

grayfalcon89

Okay.

I recently read about fungi's sexual reproduction and aseuxal reproduction. But I do not get a single thing except on the part where asexual reproduction, something like spore occur.

Can anyone help me understanding this?

Like I know what sexual and asexual reproduction is. I just don't get when it came to fungus. :confused:

Thank you!

Asexual reproduction simply means that the reproduction does not require the concept of male/female. Like in humans, we need the male sperm and the female ovary to unite and fertilize, so in effect, if there was only 1 female on the planet, there would be noway we could reproduce. However, for asexual species, like some fish as well, they are both male and female!! now take that :P, makes the bisexualism in humans seem normal. So they can produce the necessary cells that will self-fertilize and become life. Cool right?

general sexual reproduction can be considered as thus:

[math]\text{diploid individual} \ce{->[\text{meiosis}]} \text{4 X haploid individuals}[/math]

[math]\text{2 X haploid individuals} \ce{->[\text{syngamy}]} \text{1 X diploid individual} [/math]

the main differenses are usually attributable to the amount of time a species spends in each stage. for example, humans spend very little time in the haploid stage, spending almost all of our lifes as diploid humans, and only existing briefly as haploid sperm.

many protists spend most of their time in the haploid stage, briefly fusing together at the end of their lifes to make a diploid organism which instantly undergoes meiosis to create 4 haploid organisms.

many plants spend an equal amount of time in both stages, having a diploid generation which asexually produses a haploid generation (via meiosis) -- after a time, members of this haploid generation will will sexually (via syngamy, the fusing togethe of 2 gametes) create new diploid plants.

fungi reproduction is similar, i believe, with the fungi creating new offspring both asexually (meiosis) and sexually (syngamy).

Asexual Reproductio= Clone

not always. asexual reproduction via meiosis will create haploid organisms from diploid ones, creating a whole lot of ways in which the ofspring can be genetically different from the parent (compare a human male to his sperm, which are his asexual offspring).

self-fertilisation also results in genetically different organisms, for example in parthenogenisis (where a female egg fertalises another female egg), the distribution of alleles can be different in the offspring to the parent (if the parent is genotype AB, then the offspring can be AA, AB or BB), and also recombination occours before self-firtilisation, allowing for the possibility of duplicate genes and such-wot.

the only way to create a clone is by triggering a cell to mitotically divide, and then develope into an organism.

There are many species of Fungus that have never been observed participating in sexual reproduction, the deuteromycetes. They are generally lumped together with ascomycetes during classification because most fungi, except the basidiomycetes which reproduce only sexually, reproduce both asexually and sexually. It is thought that the sexual stage exists but has never been observed.