An upcoming chemistry textbook that will be nice.

jdurg

Hey everyone, I've received some good news over the past couple of weeks that I wanted to share with everyone here. As you all know, I have an ever growing collection of the elements which I've photographed extensively. Those photos are currently hosted over at http://www.chemicalforums.com and are also being used by Peter Van der Krogt on his elementymology website. (A REALLY cool site that goes into the history behind the naming of each element. http://www.vanderkrogt.net/elements/index.html.) So lots of people have seen and are seeing my element pictures which is a really neat feeling.

A couple of weeks ago, I received a private message over at the other forums from the President of a publishing company. His company is currently working on a general chemistry textbook and the authors were looking for certain pictures of elements. He was just browsing the internet and came upon my photograph of the three main phosphorus allotropes. It was exactly what they were looking for, so he contacted me to see if he could use the picture and if I could provide a higher-resolution image. I was at first kind of shocked by it but quickly said sure. He said that I'd be given credit for the picture in the textbook and that he'd get back to me soon.

Last week I got another e-mail from him which gave me the FTP information needed to upload the photo. I took a new picture and uploaded the photograph to their FTP. He took the picture and showed it to the authors of the textbook who absolutely loved it. In fact, they love it so much that they are going to use it as the introduction photograph for Chapter 8: Structure and Bonding I. (I think that's the title). I am just so giddy right now about that. I thought my photo would be a little inset photograph in a chapter that would probably just be browsed over. Now I find out that I'll be used as one of the huge, full-page photos to open up a chapter. I can't wait for the book to come out.

I was also made aware that they liked all of my element pictures and there's a small chance that further contact will be made about other elements. Now I'm not expecting any contact to be made in regards to other photos, but if they would like something else I'd be happy to oblige. It just feels great knowing that my name will be in a chemistry textbook. I've had research published so I'm listed as an author in a journal article, but to have my name as a little blurb for a photo in a chemistry textbook feels so much better. BTW, here's the information on the book:

Title: General Chemistry 1e

Authors: Bruce Averill and Patricia Eldredge

ISBN: 0-8053-3803-9

Copyright: 2006

The book will be out late this year or very, very early next year. I'll be sent a copy of the book when it comes out. Can't wait to see it. :D

No need to sign up. You can see them if you go over to the forums and click on the periodic table link. I'd post the actual photo that will be in the book, but it's a HUGE photograph and would just kill bandwidth. I've shown a few of my photos here on the forums. In fact, if you go to the element collecting thread you can see my PGMs in the second to last page, I believe. :D

Pretty soon jdurg will be too good for us, sipping lattes at the cafe with his publishing buddies. Ah, if only I hadn't gotten into the element collecting business at the ground floor. Things might have been very different.

LMAO. Nah. I don't even think that I'll be getting royalties from this. I'm just going to be happy getting a copy of the textbook. However, now that I "know" someone in the publishing sector, perhaps I could start putting together a book on element collecting. Hmmmm...................... ;)