Reaction between K2O and HCl

Primarygun

JDurg,

You might be right, but I think there is more to it than that. I just looked over the FisherSci and Alrich catalogs, and I can find no KOH labelled as "anhydrous". There is something called 99% Cat #306568, Semiconductor Grade 99.99% (but on looking at the specs, it has 14% H2O). The only other thing is a 90.00% grade Cat #484016, very expensive, but it also says it contains 14% H2O.

I cannot find any available KOH that is calling itself anhydrous. So, I'm not certain that you can buy it at any price.

And that is what I think I'm saying. You cannot reasonably make or store anhydrous KOH (as KOH itself, if you see what I'm saying), but you can do it in-situ. And I'm thinking that this is how it is almost always done.

If you know where it can be purchased, please post a link.(not that I need any, I'm just curious to see if anyone actually has it available).

agreed, I`ve looked it up too, It`s not even worth trying!

not only that, but if you DID happen upon such a source, being so deliquescent, it would be corrupt within seconds of opening the container :)

akcapr: the reaction was K2O and HCl that`s the reactive one!

KOH and HCl as (aq) isn`t all that reactive at all to the naked eye, it will generate heat though, as will "Dry" KOH or NaOH added to plain tap water.

(it`ll actualy BOIL if you add enough!).