Is this right ? (Simple connections question)

nameta9

I want to try to connect to my local PC from a remote location through the telephone. So on the local PC, I go about creating a new connection (Windows XP) that accepts "incoming calls" and a given guest user that I will be when I call from the remote site. It seems to work somewhat (I hear the modem work when I call the phone number to which my local PC is connected to after I pick up the phone) but I don't undestand:

1) When the phone rings at the local PC and I pick it up, is the local PC ready to negotiate with the remote one ?

1) will I be given a kind of login screen on the remote PC when I dial in to enter my guest username and password?

2) what applications will pop up on the remote PC after I log in ?

This is a bit confusing, because it is not well explained on the internet

Seems like you'll be needing some software like HyperTerminal or those similar to Telnet. Both PCs will need modems, and well, it's a matter of learning how to use your software from there. There won't be any fancy logins, unless you're remoting your PC like for example Windows XP remote desktop. But that works through TCP/IP, meaning both computers (remote and local) need to be connected to the internet.

I have the modems. From what I read, you just need the two modems and the phone line. No internet access is necessary since it is just a connection between the 2 PCs (also it seems that no telnts or other are needed). I am using TCP/IP over PPP on both and used the connection wizards, so the local PC has a connection that accepts incoming connections and the remote has a connection (like the typical internet access ones over 56K) where the phone number is the local PCs and the username and password is the one chosen at the local during connection wizard. It seems logical, the only thing I don't get is what application pops up after the 2 PCs negotiate the connection, this isn't explained anywhere.......

What I want to do is the simplest possible connection using modems and phone lines. Since Windows XP has these connection wizards that seem to set up most of what I need, what puzzles me is:

1) When the phone rings at the local PC and I pick it up, is the local PC ready to negotiate with the remote one ? Is it enough to just pick up the phone and let the remote PC send it's modem commands to the local one ? I can hear the modems negotiating so I think it is working......

2) Since I am using "remote connection" from remote PC to the local PC telephone number like any internet access, I guess that is where I enter username and password. I used the windows connection wizard to create a simple new connection to a remote computer through the modem, and this also seems to be working...

3) what applications will pop up on the remote PC after I log in, and how do I know if it is logged in ? This is what I can't figure out. If the 2 PCs simply connected do I need some other application to get the local files from remote ?

I've never heard of, or tried anything like that, so I'm not sure how you could even do it.

As stated above, you would need the computers to already be connected to the internet, and then you use a program like hyperterminal to remotely access one of the other computers. They find eachother through their IP addresses.

To dial straight into a computer via a phone call is something totally different. About the only way I could even rationalize something like that working is client/server. You would set the computer you are dialing as a server. It would have to listen to the phone line, and when it rings it picks up. This initiates the 2-way hand shake, and then the server provides an IP address to the client. They can then communicate, and you can use a program like hyperterminal to speak to it.

Let me see the information you have read though, maybe I can make some better sense of it if I see what you are reading.