Enzyme kinetics and substrate concentration

Guest biomante

Guest biomante

Hi

I was wondering if someone knows any good electronic resource (or book) about enzyme kinetics, specially trouble-shooting.

I know it is simple, but I am stuck just trying to measure the concentration of a substrate I am working with using a coupled enzyme assay.

It is supposed to be very straightforward, but I am getting pretty weird results.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Guest biomante

Thanks, I will check the link.

The weird results are that I am getting (according to my calculations), extremely low substrate concentrations (silly low). Probably I am messing up the units.

Guest biomante

OK

This thing is still not working, and I am kind of running out of time (and patience).

The thing is this, I am using a coupled enzyme assay to measure the concentration of a substrate; the reaction of the first enzyme can't be followed but the second one uses NADH, so the depletion of it can be followed with a spectrophotometer.

So I just measure the absorbance (340nm) before adding enzyme (the first in the reaction) and sometime after adding it (I do it after 5 minutes), when I don't see any change in absorbance, right?

To get the concentration I use this formula:

(ΔA/6220)x(1000/V) = mM

ΔA = change in absorbance

6220 is the extinction coefficient of NADH

V= volume of substrate solution used in the 1 ml cuvette

So, I should get the mM concentration of the substrate right?

Well, I am still getting a very low concentration, so low I don't even think I would see any measurable enzyme activity, so it must be wrong.

If there is anyone out there that can help me with this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks