Vitamin C

Primarygun

It hasn't been proven that vitamin C can contain or alleviate cancer. Be careful of wild claims that may raise false hopes.

However, there is a fair body of evidence that vitamin C can be helpful to the body when it is under stress and may provide some assistance when critically ill.

Linus Pauling won a Nobel prize winner, did a lot of research into the benefical effects of Vitamin C, especialy into its role in cancer treatment and a respected institute continues the work of determining the relationship between micronutrients and good health and the treatment of disease.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminC/index.html

One point to remember is that it is in effect impossible to overdose on Vitamin C. So even if it isn't effective you haven't lost anything by taking it.

Personally, i top up my dose with a 1gr tablet whenever i am feeling unwell.

I've found that when battling the common cold or a sinus infection, lots of vitamin C and some Zinc supplements really cut back on the length of the illness. They don't necessarily cut back on the intensity, but instead of being sick for 7-8 days I wind up being sick for 3-4.

There is a diet of vitamins that people follow that they believe can help them with cancer, but it includes a Colonic irrigation of cold coffe every day.

There is no evidence to suggest it works either.

I've found that when battling the common cold or a sinus infection, lots of vitamin C and some Zinc supplements really cut back on the length of the illness. They don't necessarily cut back on the intensity, but instead of being sick for 7-8 days I wind up being sick for 3-4.

Vitamin C is needed in the matrix of the cell membranes.

Since it is water-soluble, it is not retained well by the body and any vit-C requirements need to be met on a supply and demand basis.

When you have a cold, the level of disruption to cells is much higher than normal so your vit-C requirements spike quite a bit. So any extra vit-C you take is obviously going to be very welcome.