Please help - IQ info -

Guest jcorn59483

Guest jcorn59483

Although it has risen regularly over time, A friend has a a son whose IQ score (combined) is 89. He did pass part of a statewide mandated test this year. There were two sections and he passed the English section and was just short of passing the math section, literally only a few points away from passing. He gets average grades, rarely anything below a C. He was adopted when he was 5 from another country and he was below the height and weight for a normal child his age, WAY below, so perhaps nutrition played a role in his IQ, not just genetics. Nearly 8 years later, his grammatical and writing skills lag below his peers, which makes me wonder if college would ever be an option, IQ aside.

MY MAIN CONCERN: What does his IQ indicate about his future? They are not disheartened by his score because they were told he was "borderline retarded" after his first couple of tests (whatever borderline retarded means) and also because they adopted him knowing there was a good chance he would be significantly impaired, possibly even severely retarded (by IQ definitions).

His IQ is a bit baffling because he does seem to do well, both academically, socially and in other ways, better than one might expect for a child with this IQ. He memorizes easily, does pretty well in math (with a lot of tutoring on the side to keep him up to speed). He reads age appropriate books, but only as required for school (does not read for fun). Playing is a bit hard for him, especially imaginative play.

He is, however, athletically and musically talented and so they have encouraged his involvement in both areas. HOw should they plan for his future? Should we be looking at vocational schools? We would just like to know what to realistically expect to tell them or where to direct them for more info. Thank you.

i believe that an iq of <85 is something to be concerned about. 89 is really not that bad.

anyway, iq is overrated. it is a measure of your ability to solve problems. its useful to have a high iq, but by no means nessessary. i have a few friends who i dont think would would score much more than 90, but they have no mental 'problems' as such, and function fine socially, have jobs etc