Help me draw a picture of the universe

Kygron

I was tempted to put this in the Cosmology forum, but I would prefer theoretical critisism to empirical I believe.

I'm going to "draw" a simple model of the universe. It's a circle. So, if you will, imagine a circle and call it the universe. This is a universe in ONE dimention, the outer curve of the circle. The actual universe has more dimentions, you may picture them as you like, but they are all tangential to the plane that the circle exists in.

This circle is a moment in (space)time. If you were to freeze-frame the universe this is what it would look like. More importantly, I would like to add that the big bang happened a the center of the circle. As the universe expanded, the radius of the circle increased and all matter moved away from all other matter.

Up for discussion is: what does general relativity say about this picture?

Also, I realize this is not a "flat" universe (or is it???). Can anyone give me a picture of the big bang exploding into a flat one?

That's two dimensions :) (height and[/b'] width)

He means just the outline of the circle. So anything inside or outside the circe doesn't count. It being just a line, it would have no height or width, it would only have a length, and hence would be one dimensional. I guess.

Not sure, but Nasa has a cool 3-D Universe that's interactive. And they also, already have a 2-D map of what has been discovered already. The Great Wall intrigues me. Here is the sight, It may help--> [url']http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/3Datlas_launch.html[/url]

mustang, this is extremely rude. If you'd like to share something you've found start a NEW thread like I did.

So, if you will, imagine a circle and call it the universe. This is a universe in ONE dimention, the outer curve of the circle. The actual universe has more dimentions, you may picture them as you like, but they are all tangential to the plane that the circle exists in.
I am not saying that You are wrong, I also just think the following questions are interesting.

The outer curve of the circle is one dimension and it can have more dimensions tangential to the plane, but how can it be bent, like in a circle, if not in another dimension ?

How did the start of all, The Bing Bang, get outside, (actually inside the circle), the universe ?

mustang, this is extremely rude. If you'd like to share something you've found start a NEW thread like I did.

How in the world is that rude? He posted a link which was extremely relevant to the subject at hand. It would have been foolish to make a new thread just for that link when this one already exists.

'']How in the world is that rude? He posted a link which was extremely relevant to the subject at hand. It would have been foolish to make a new thread just for that link when this one already exists.

"extremely relavent"??? That link sent me to images of extrasolar planets.

I was tempted to put this in the Cosmology forum, but I would prefer theoretical critisism to empirical I believe.

As you see I stated that I didn't want that type of thing, I also stated what I did want to hear:

Up for discussion is: what does general relativity say about this picture?

Maybe you're misinterpreting my title. I tryed to edit it, but to no avail.

Okay Kygron, Here, try this link It is a Logarithmic Map of the Universe. Very interesting. I hope this helps you. I too couldn't retrace the link via Nasa as I had originally stated. It must have been eaten by a black hole. [url']http://www.astro.princeton.edu/~mjuric/universe/[/url]

Well, at least it looks like you're trying to help now, and that site is definatly interesting. But it still has very little to do with what I was trying to ask people for help with.

This is the relativity forum, it deals with gravity and math and lightspeed and all the special effects that Einstien opened our eyes to. That map is more cosmology and astrophysics, dealing with stars and galaxys and telescopes and measuring reality. The site is probably worth its own thread in that forum.

What I'm trying to do is a thought experiment. It's all pictures in your head nd calculations on paper. My problem is that while I have the thoughts in my head, I don't know any calculations for my paper, so I'm asking for help with that.