Covalent bond

Guest xroxybabix

Guest xroxybabix

Give an example of a covalent bond and explain what is happening at the atomic level during bonding?.....If you know the answer.. please help mee!!!! :)

presuming youve learnt about this in school why on earth dont you have an example? lots of compounds are joined covalently. at an atomic level a covalent bond is one in which two atoms share one or more valence electrons. its not that hard, a read through your notes or the internet only takes a second.

Give an example of a covalent bond and explain what is happening at the atomic level during bonding?.....If you know the answer.. please help mee!!!! :)

The sigma bonds C2H6 (Ethane) is an example of Covalent Bonding.

In atomic level there is sharing of electrons

For example in C2H6 the sigma bonds overlap each other causing

electrons to be shared.

I should also say that this is a very basic question. I would be very concerned if you are lacking the basic knowledge of Covalent bonding, Ionic bonding, and Metallic Bonding.

The sigma bonds C2H6 (Ethane) is an example of Covalent Bonding.

In atomic level there is sharing of electrons

For example in C2H6 the sigma bonds overlap each other causing

electrons to be shared.

I should also say that this is a very basic question. I would be very concerned if you are lacking the basic knowledge of Covalent bonding' date=' Ionic bonding, and Metallic Bonding.[/quote']

xroxybabix, don't forget that there are two types of bonding in covalent bond: pi bond and sigma bond.

Like FVT, I would be concerned if you don't know this knowledge which should be taught in your Basic Chemistry class.

Yes. Sigma bond is the simplest bond, where the 2 p orbitals of the atoms share electrons head2head. And there is the pi bond, where they kinda arrange side2side and share electrons. Bit hard to visualize the orbitals if you don't what it looks like, and from the questions you're asking I daresay that you are on Bohr models, so kinda pointless saying all these, but oh well. yeah.

The electrons forming the sigma bond are shared along the inter nuclear access whereas the unhybridised 2p electrons are overlapping along the top and/or the bottom of the inter nuclear access, thats why double/triple bonded molecules cannot rotate because it would weaken the pi bond which would break, another important point is sigma bonds are also stronger than pi bonds.

if youre not up to here yet in school, then just ignore the fact that the bonds are different and consider them the same for all intense and purposes untill you come to them, a covalent bond is where electrons a distrubuted/shared roughly uniformly between two (or more) atoms, corrosponding to minimal electronegativity difference, polar bonds are wher due to the different electronegative values one (the more electronegative atom attracts the electrons alot closer to itself rather than sharing them evenly.hope that helps

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/bonding/ethene.html

if youre not up to here yet in school' date=' then just ignore the fact that the bonds are different[/b'] and consider them the same for all intense and purposes untill you come to them,

[/url]

maybe that was the point of stating that? pfft

Any way would you like to inform us of your level of schooling xroxybabix so we could help you alittle better?