Buckminsterfullerines, or sumthin' or other....

AzurePhoenix

Here is a good website on nanotubes...It compares tensile strength and density of multiwalled and single walled nanotubes to steel ect but not skeletal calcium. Its also has the density values that you wanted I'll have to do a bit more looking for that bone stuff though.

~Scott

No problem all i did was google it...Also im pretty sure i heard somewhere (i know not very scientific) that bone was stronger then steel because it was more flexable. I would be inclined to disagree with that though....

~Scott

Why not something like a made up compund that is a strong solid untill it is impacted when it liquifys and when it returns to its original shape it resolidifies i think that would be good bones at least not more broken ones...

~Scott

Right now I'm just saying it's "Dragon Ivory" a remarkalby resiliant substance, but much lighter than bone, and very flexible. It bonds easily with metals, minerals and other compounds (hence metallic dragons). Heals very quickly, and also make up the base structure of scales (living, not dead like those of reptiles) barbs, horns, teeth, and talons. I was hopeful about carbon tubes because of their newfanlged properties, and them being carobn and all. No worries, I'll just say it's some mystical element. Thanx for all's ya's help!

No problem all i did was google it...Also im pretty sure i heard somewhere (i know not very scientific) that bone was stronger then steel because it was more flexable. I would be inclined to disagree with that though....

~Scott

i really doubt it. what they taught in physics class was that bone is roughly as brittle as brick.

dragon stuff sounds interesting...

it is, but its friggin' frustrating. Have you ever had to draw an avian respiratory system augmented for optimum use by a giant aerial lizard? Very stressful. Especially now that i have to draw a complete anatomical image which inlcudes the circulatory and digestive systems, the skeleton, and the purely draconic organs.

it is, but its friggin' frustrating. Have you ever had to draw an avian respiratory system augmented for optimum use by a giant aerial lizard?

cant say that i have...

augmented for optimum use... my general assumption is that thanks to good old evolution "optimum" would be roughly what our lungs are shaped like. or did you mean more like some artificial aid? dragon ironlung?

You haven't seen an avian lung? It's amazingly efficient compared to ours. I'll find a good link to show you. Basically, i'ts got like ten extra air sacks, so when the bird exhales, air automatically flows into the lung, so air is always being absorbed, while used air is shunted to different sacks to be expelled. But for a dragon, i also have to incorporate their "dragon heart" the magic/plasma chamber, make the lungs larger comparatively to make up for the greater relative mass, and find a way to fit it into a totally different body plan.

Why not use Beryllium? Sure it's very toxic to humans when in a finely divided state, but that could be a nice little 'self defense mechanism'. Aside from lithium, beryllium is the least dense metal out there.

Here are links' date=' each one is a different style, to suit your preference

http://www.biology.eku.edu/RITCHISO/birdrespiration.html

http://w3.dwm.ks.edu.tw/bio/activelearner/44/ch44c7.html

and

http://pharyngula.org/~pzmyers/MyersLab/teaching/Bi104/l07/birdlungs.html[/quote']

whoa. no i havent ever seen bird lung before.

i wasnt saying you were wrong benson.