Oil Prices and the Media

Pangloss

The reason why is the same reason why rail works in Europe and not (so much) in the United States.

I believe rail used to work good in the past for the US. Until GM, Firestone and Standard oil began buying them out and destroying it so they could produce GM Transport, with Firestone tires, and Standard oil's oil. In this case greed really destroyed our rail system, I think these companies were even convicted of a crime in doing this.

That's actually my point, the thing I've been planning to get at if nobody could answer my question: High taxes have an impact on consumption, but they don't seem to have an impact on the development of alternate forms of energy.

I don't really think there is an alternate form of energy that could replace our fossil fuels that could drive the dependancy that has been built on these energies.

The answer comes to less consumption, localization, and re-evaluating everything we do, and making proper adjustments to be more self-sufficient. I don't think keeping on with the way things are, like our massive consumption, has any kind of long term future even if a replacement for oil is found.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe rail used to work good in the past for the US. Until GM' date=' Firestone and Standard oil began buying them out and destroying it so they could produce GM Transport, with Firestone tires, and Standard oil's oil. In this case greed really destroyed our rail system, I think these companies were even convicted of a crime in doing this.

I don't really think there is an alternate form of energy that could replace our fossil fuels that could drive the dependancy that has been built on these energies.

The answer comes to less consumption, localization, and re-evaluating everything we do, and making proper adjustments to be more self-sufficient. I don't think keeping on with the way things are, like our massive consumption, has any kind of long term future even if a replacement for oil is found.[/quote']

I think that the general public in America require personal transportation. Especially if they live in the vast midlands of America. Rail transportation works when you have enough people interested in going to the same place, but in most of America, that is not the case.

As to the oil situation, we do have about 200 years of coal to burn at the present rates of consumption, and I would also point out that in 1900 there was no viable substitute for the Horse as a means of transportation. By 1920, there was. I really don't think we are going to have to reduce our consumption--although that wouldn't be all that bad an idea, just as a matter of dicipline. :rolleyes:

Do you folks have any idea how much sunlight falls upon the earth every hour.

It's beyond belief and makes oil consumption look pitiful.

WE already have a whopping big reactor, the sun...and it's at a good safe distance and it destroys it's own waste. over and over and over again...well until it turns to iron.

the answer is right there . look up. :)

Do you folks have any idea how much sunlight falls upon the earth every hour.

It's beyond belief and makes oil consumption look pitiful.

WE already have a whopping big reactor' date=' the sun...and it's at a good safe distance and it destroys it's own waste. over and over and over again...well until it turns to iron.

the answer is right there . look up. :)[/quote']

That's fine if you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of cloud cover or long winters where days are extremely short. Whatcha gonna do the rest of the time? Should I go into the business of manufacturing hamster wheels and raising hamsters?

If peak world oil is now, as many experts believe it is, we could be facing depression in less than 10 years. That doesn't really give us a whole lot of time. The media has been very irresponsible in reporting this, and our leaders have too. We really need to start making serious changes now.

Has anyone seen the documentary The End of Suburbia? I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it yet.

That's fine if you live in an area that doesn't have a lot of cloud cover or long winters where days are extremely short. Whatcha gonna do the rest of the time? Should I go into the business of manufacturing hamster wheels and raising hamsters?

You just grow stuff, if you have all the water.

then you set up a deal with the desert regions.

then you swap what you grow for the electricity stored in whatever form you want...hydrogen...electricity...any form really.

isn't it beautiful.

If peak world oil is now' date=' as many experts believe it is, we could be facing depression in less than 10 years. That doesn't really give us a whole lot of time. The media has been very irresponsible in reporting this, and our leaders have too. We really need to start making serious changes now.

Has anyone seen the documentary The End of Suburbia? I highly recommend it to anyone who has not seen it yet.[/quote']

If and could are fairly indefinate terms.

I have a lot more faith in the ability of the American people and our business and government leadership than that.

Years ago, back in the 60s, there was a guy named Mel Tappan who made a living writing for magazines like "Argosy" and other publications and old Mel told us that long before 1984, the whole American economy would be in a state of collapse. He was concerned that inflation would make our economy implode. "Hell, he said, if things keep going as they are, people will have to be earning $10 pr. hr. just to pay their bills and feed the kids." :rolleyes:

He explained how to build a little cabin in the mountains and grow your own vegetables and what guns to keep onhand so that the starving masses from down below couldn't take your food and rape your women. :rolleyes:

I guess it worked for Mel, because that BS provided him with a living, but it was BS.

If and could are fairly indefinate terms.

I have a lot more faith in the ability of the American people and our business and government leadership than that.

Years ago' date=' back in the 60s, there was a guy named Mel Tappan who made a living writing for magazines like "Argosy" and other publications and old Mel told us that long before 1984, the whole American economy would be in a state of collapse. He was concerned that inflation would make our economy implode. "Hell, he said, if things keep going as they are, people will have to be earning $10 pr. hr. just to pay their bills and feed the kids." :rolleyes:

He explained how to build a little cabin in the mountains and grow your own vegetables and what guns to keep onhand so that the starving masses from down below couldn't take your food and rape your women. :rolleyes:

I guess it worked for Mel, because that BS provided him with a living, but it [b']was[/b] BS.

I don't remember the author, but I do remember the time. I think it was in 1982 that the prime interest rate just about doubled in the course of a year. I had a long term contract and a credit line of prime +2% - had a bunch of money borrowed against the contract and the company went backrupt on me. I ended up paying 22.5%. Now, why did you have to go and remind me about that???

I don't remember the author, but I do remember the time. I think it was in 1982 that the prime interest rate just about doubled in the course of a year. I had a long term contract and a credit line of prime +2% - had a bunch of money borrowed against the contract and the company went backrupt on me. I ended up paying 22.5%. Now, why did you have to go and remind me about that???

Actually Sandi, I would bet that it was a little before that. Maybe not though.

When Reagan took office (Jan 20 '81) the interest rate on a mortgage was 18% and that was a serious setback to construction, but with the implimention of sound money policies, that rate was drastically reduced during his first term.