Need to work out some muscle groups.

I need some simple home workouts without the need for any special equipment.

I currently want to work out the muscles below the armpits and a lil to the back. ( I am not sure what they are called). anyone one know of any?

[edit] I am not really looking to bulk up, but more to get definition and tone

I think they are called "lassimus dorsi" or something like that, and I am dead certain that I spelled it wrong.

One of the best ways to develope this group is with what I call a "pullover."

One lies on his back on the floor, or a bench will work, then with a standard squat bar, or a curl bar will work, reach directly overhead (as if you were being robbed) grasp the bar and bring it up 90 degrees, then return it to the floor.

Do these in sets of 8 to 12, about 6 sets every other day, and you will begin to see results.

You can even do this with individual dumbbells,(one in each hand of course) but it is a little more awkward. :)

This is also very good for the chest mucsles.

Standing with your feet apart, abdominals tensed, and your back straight, hold a dumbell in your left hand and put your right hand on the base of your skull.

Keeping your arm straight, lean over to the left until you feel the stretch in the muscles on your right side. Recover in reverse and repeat, then do a set on the other side.

Ace.

I was posting to this earlier when the wind blew a tree into the power lines and the lights went out.

Another way to exercise these muscles is to stand with your feet slightly spread apart in front of a mirror. Put your hands on your ribcage (same way you would put them on your hips, only higher. The idea is to raise your rib cage and move it to the right - without moving your hips - then move it to the left, and back to center. The bottom of your rib cage remains parallel to the floor, you do not bend at the waist. It's not a motion most people are used to doing so you have to get the hang of it. Once you can move from side to side, learn to move from front to back. Finally - go all the way around in a circle. A birds eye view would show your hips staying stationery and your upper body circling around it.

You have to be fairly flexible for this one. - Find something that you can use for a barre that is at waist level - the back of the couch works for me. Stand sideways. Put your left foot on the back of the couch, keep your leg straight and parallel to the floor. Raise your left hand and arm over your head and s-l-o-w-l-y bend sideways (not forward) at the waist as far over as you can at least until your head is on the same level as your foot - bend further if you can manage it. At this point your arm is still over your head with your fingers pointing at the floor. Bring your body vertical - again - slowly.Don't move your arm - use the strength in your lats and obliques to pull your upper body including your arm upright Then face the other way and do the same thing on the other side.

If you are not flexible, you will have to work on this very slowly. Only stretch until you feel a gentle pull - do not force your body further than it wants to go, and never bounce.

This exercise tones your lats, obliques, and a few others - and it helps you have good balance.

One of the most used latissimus dorsi stretches is pretty much as follows.

-knees on floor

-hand over hand in front of you on the floor

-hips in air

-lean hips toward the side you wish to stretch...

You should feel the stretch from the shoulder to the armpit

If you want to get some definition and tone then doing stretches as stated above isnt going to build muscle. I go to a gym, so i suggest you should too. You can get someone to so you how to uses the machines properly and make a program for you.

• 2 weeks later...

All you need to do is squat, chin, and do some pushups.

See if you can work your way up to doing 500 squats in a row.

After you get 500 try and do it with a gallon of water in a back pack.

Chins you should be able to find a spot. Any spot that you can pull yourself up. See how long it takes you to complete 40-50 reps. Chins work your back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and forearms.

Pushups. If needs be, get a partner to sit on your back.

Leg Raises. In the hanging chin position lift your knees up to your chest.

A good workout is to do a set of squats, chins, pushups, and leg raises and repeat until you are exhausted.

Two-three times a week.

By the way its very difficult to increase your muscular mass. The average individual with average genetics may put on 20lbs in a life time of lifting. I lift 5 days a week at 630 in the morning. 90% of the regulars I see lifting are not big at all. They just look fit.

By the way its very difficult to increase your muscular mass. The average individual with average genetics may put on 20lbs in a life time of lifting. I lift 5 days a week at 630 in the morning. 90% of the regulars I see lifting are not big at all. They just look fit.

Genetics doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Manipulating your diet and sleeping patterns and allowing enough time for recovery is vitally important to laying down muscle, and it's the bit most people leave out.

• 5 months later...
Genetics doesn't have a lot to do with it.

Manipulating your diet and sleeping patterns and allowing enough time for recovery is vitally important to laying down muscle' date=' and it's the bit most people leave out.[/quote']

Incorrect, genetics has a lot to do with your potential muscular mass.

definition and tone....

there are a few ways to work muscles.

you can:

lift more, building up muscle strength - this increases muscle size

lift slowly, building up muscle stability and control - this increses definition

lift quickly, building up muscle speed - this seems to make muscles spread out more.

lift repetedly, building up muscle stamina - i don't know what this does, but i'd guess it's more definition and size.

i'm not that much of a weight lifter, and i don't read much about it, but from experience and judging myself compared to others, i think i'm right about how the different ways affect appearance.

• 1 month later...

if it's tone ur looking for, u need to lose any major excess fat which could hide your muscles, aswell as bulking up the muscle(s). If u want definition in muscle, try takin Creatin Monohydrate from a healthfood shop, i've been told it 'forces' water in with the muscle, defining them. If u dont want to bulk up, lift a lot of a little; do more reps rather than increasing the weight your using. A set of dumbells, barbell and a bench will help you with your desired goal, rather than using only your body as resistance(push ups, pullups etc)

I suggest you for Martial art training where it builds your mucles with efficient use of energy. It develop the the whole body. You would not get bulky if you have a right training. Some how i suggest try to learn streching. It builds tone. The key words is repeation. Try to get a book about Pilate if martial art is not in mind.