Org.and phys.chem. books reco needed.

Guest hornet

Guest hornet

Hi all!

Next year I`ll begin my Ph.D. studies in med.chem. at one of the unis in US. Probably in a position of TA or RA. Thus, I feel that it`d be nice to refresh some basics esp. of physical and org.chem. :) In add, being an int.student, I`ve never learned chemistry in English. So, I also badly need to learn chemical vocab. Could u suggest which books should buy?

I went through the amazon, and shortlisted McQuarrie for physical chem, but am in the dark about orgo. Wade, Bruice, Carey, two parts of Sundberg or perhaps Clayden which is the closest to my background (I took a degree in pharma)? What do you say?

Any feedback would be welcome.

Thanks,

M ;)

Guest hornet

Thanks guys!

but, I rather though about some practical experience suggestion. Have u used these books? What do ya think of them? Especially Wade, Clayden and Loudon in orgo?

I am currently using Carey for my orgo class, and hate that book. The prof is constantly correcting it, and its in a very illogical order! I've heard people say some decent things about Hornback's textbook... you can always look into that. All I know for sure is to stay away from Carey, its a trainwreck.

For pchem, I enjoy Silbey, Alberty et al's Physical Chemistry book. Its a little dry, but its good.