Adopting other species

psi20

I saw a commercial about a Wild Planet episode or whatever some time soon about a lion taking care of an antelope. Now I just read an article about a tortoise taking care of a hippo. Interesting. Any comments or ideas on that? I'm really interested on why the lion takes care of the antelope, since I thought lions ate antelopes.

I saw a commercial about a Wild Planet episode or whatever some time soon about a lion taking care of an antelope. Now I just read an article about a tortoise taking care of a hippo. Interesting. Any comments or ideas on that? I'm really interested on why the lion takes care of the antelope, since I thought lions ate antelopes.

I am totally stumped. I all my years of reading about animals I have never heard a claim like this. I hope someone with a better education than me can give some insight on this.

Well there are many examples of species co-operating, symbiosis, like the tarantula (or snake forget which) and the frog living in the same burrow (the frog gets the ants that the spider can't the spider kills everything else)

I have heard of an example of a human being adopted by gazelles, it was semi-reliable sources of a boy being raised by gazelles and since he hopped around like a gazelle he had really strong ankles. He was "rescued" but I believe he escaped. Last I heard people were claiming there were other explanations for this wild-boy. I also heard of a tarzan type boy raised by apes which is slightly more likely.

Never heard of any other stories like this- yours is especially weird with the predator-prey relationship reversed

it`s fascinating, I rem seeing something like that on the news a few years ago, I`m not sure what animals it was or which way around, but I think it was a dog that fed a kitten along with it`s own puppies, I seem to rem a pig doing something similar with feeding another animal.

I used to have a Cockateil and a cat, very often the cat would be curled up in front of the fire and bird cuddled up next to the cat.

both were well fed, and had little to fear as they grew up together, and it WAS cold in that flat.

I think animals will only attack if Hungry or threatened, remove those and there`s no reason to fight I guess :)

I saw the commercials for the lion/antelope program, I think I'm going to tune in out of curiosity as to the 'whole story' behind the 'odd couple'.

My only related anecdote it that I've got a cat that is an expert mouse hunter but loves to curl up for naps with my guinea pigs, I guess all rodents were not created equal. ;)

Strange as it seems I can confirm it is partially true. It was on a news broadcast in the UK this year. My recollections are imprecise, but a an orphaned hippo had been placed in the same enclosure as a very old giant tortoise. Hippos are social animals so this one was starved for company. It 'befriended' (horribly anthropocentric, but you get the idea) the tortoise and the two spend time together now.