Flash point

Invader_Gir

If something has a flash point of say, 30C, that is the temp that it will ignite at, right? but once ignited, will it get hotter?

And does anyone know of anything that burns at a low temp that will not burn flesh. also, if anyone knows, where i can purchase some. tee hee :)

thanks in advance.

If something has a flash point of say' date=' 30C, that is the temp that it will ignite at, right? but once ignited, will it get hotter?

[/quote']

yes in gasseous form, and it will get hotter :)

as for the rest no I don`t, a "Fire" at 30c or even 60C (you should be able to handle that for a while) I know of no such material.

barring phosphors or luminescent materials chemical or bio.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was just using 30C as an example, I dont know anything that does either. Its just that my chemistry teacher used to do some demonstrations when she was younger. She said that she would light her hand on fire, and it wouldnt burn her, the temp was just like hot water from a tap. But she cant remember what it was. It was similar to "fire" eaters, whose 'fires' arent that hot at all.

Some other things she used to do was dissolve Phosphorus in carbon disulfide and put it on a news paper. She would then walk in to class, set the paper on her desk, and lecture. After a little while, she CS2 would evaporate and PooF! But unfortunately, this was all before I had her class. She has been teaching for 52 years, so I imagine it was a long time ago when she did all this.

it can be done with fire gell ( a mix of ethanol and cellulose) it`s smoke free and you can hold it in your hands for several minutes before any appreciable heat reaches you, maybe it was that?

although the flame is almost invisible using it, the addition of metal salts as a sprinkle can make the flame any color you like :)

enough to make a reasonably "thick Gell", the stuff I buy for special effects contains Bitex (so you don`t eat the stuff to get drunk), I`ve never examined the stuff too closely in all honesty, and so I`ve no idea what proportions are used.

soz dude :(

it`s also used for BBQ lighting, so maybe that`ll help?

• 4 months later...

Well...I found out what it was. It was a mixture of carbon disulfide, and carbon tetrachloride. I seriously doubt that i will be able to get a hold of these chemicals. And if I did, I wouldnt touch them with my bare hands. Any idea where i can get these?

Well...I found out what it was. It was a mixture of carbon disulfide, and carbon tetrachloride. I seriously doubt that i will be able to get a hold of these chemicals. And if I did, I wouldnt touch them with my bare hands. Any idea where i can get these?

Carbon tetrachloride is extremely volatile and was banned when classified as a refrigeration material from industrial applications. I doubt that hospitals still use it as a local superficial anaesthetic and antiseptic, but you may try to find it in drugstores. If you do, it will be a colourless liquid in a glass shell that looks like a sealed test tube, but not sure if there was aluminium shells as well.

You must know however, that such a mixture of carbon disulfide, and carbon tetrachloride will not burn in air because it is already an oxidized form of carbon, and that the evaporation will affect the local ambient temperature dropping it below all known room temperature flash points.