An expanding universe...

star dust

hello. i'm new to this site and i have a very passionate interest in cosmology. however there is one thing that i cannot get my head around.

The universe is defined as all time, space and matter. everything.

If the universe is expanding, then what is it expanding in to, because technically it would be the universe anyway...

There have been one or two threads on this already star dust.

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7990&highlight=universe+size

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5188&highlight=universe+size

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=496&highlight=universe+size

The usual way of explaining it is with an analogy. Imagine the Universe was two dimensional, and that it was like the surface of a balloon. If we blow the baloon up every point on the surface moves away from every other point - expansion. But it is not expanding into anything as such. Now try thinking of the Universe we have in a similar way. Just as the surface of the balloon has no edge in two dimensions our Universe has no edge in three dimensions.

Any help? If not, don't worry. If you can get your head around it you are either crazy or a mathematician. [i think the two are different.icon7.gif]

The universe is defined as all time, space and matter. everything.

When you say everything, you should remember that everything means only time and space, which is now in the form of space-time.

If the universe is expanding, then what is it expanding in to, because technically it would be the universe anyway

Not so. Space-time is expanding to where no space-time had existed.

I disagree. However, if you would prefer a different word, why don't you propose one.
well, "where" means distance which means space which means it is in the universe which means the universe is expanding into itself.

where-when

pronounced bar-where-when

huh? care to elaborate?

Cadmus said "Space-time is expanding to where no space-time had existed" Since it is space-time that is expanding he might better have said "Space-time is expanding to where and when no space-time had existed".

We contract this to where-when.

But then you raise the objection that this implies there is somewhere (and somewhen) to expand into. Solution: apply a recognised 'negative' denoter - a bar over the composite word. Hence, bar-when-where.icon7.gif

well, "where" means distance which means space which means it is in the universe which means the universe is expanding into itself.

I don't know about this. Once space-time expands there, it becomes a where.

I do like the idea of adding when.