Computer cooling

the fastest clock speed ever recorded was 5.25GHz

see here:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031230/

there's a video which is quite good' date=' shows all the set-up, they used liquid nitrogen cooling... i dont know what speed it was originally, but it did go to 5.25GHz and that is still a world record [i'](as far as i am aware)[/i]

Yeah, I saw that when it first came out. They used a P4 3.4GHz CPU to do the overclocking. The architechture of the P4 (Northwood) they used is a good architechture that can run at 5+ GHz under EXTREME conditions. So that is possible. Any CPU which is designed to run at 333MHz, however, does not have the physical ability to run at 5+ GHz. That was the thing I was disputing in my first post. :D

I'd say a bit more than 4mins... especially seeing as if in general use of your computer you do something straining on the processor (rendering images, latest games, heavy multitasking) then it can cause it to produce more heat than if you were just using a word processor as it'd be being used more.
That's why I qualified my statement to exclude different loads.

Just out of interest I took the side panels off my case and my CPU temperature jumped up by 4C.

Just out of interest I took the side panels off my case and my CPU temperature jumped up by 4C.

a few possibilities:

1) you have a good case which is so well designed its better to leave it as it is

2) the room is hot

3) near a radiator

4) intense lighting nearby causes the thermistor or wtvr it is measuring the temp to heat up.

5) your just using your processor a lot today!

6) you pet crawled into your computer and is sleeping on the heatsink!

i dunno, as i said... this is just what i've found for me, im not saying applies to everyone.