all CS courses concentrated in 4 semesters? bad idea?

haxxez

I am senior in biology,

chose to get a second bachelors in CS.

the way the credits worked out is that I have 59 credits left to graduate with the computer science bachelors.

with about 45ish of those credits being from core CS and programming.

is it possible to attempt to complete a CS degree in 4 semesters? with no knowledge of programming (been doing online tutorial with java a bit for 2 months now)

I ask this because I know normally people stretch the CS courses over the span of 4 years, but with my situation all that's left is the CS classes to get my bs.

also how does hiring look like? is it hard for someone who got the degree in 2 years to find jobs? since they will have less experience in internships and less experience over time?

also (just a wild thought) but would having a biology degree help you with certain jobs?

would appreciate any feedback,

thank you

is it possible to attempt to complete a CS degree in 4 semesters? with no knowledge of programming (been doing online tutorial with java a bit for 2 months now)

I ask this because I know normally people stretch the CS courses over the span of 4 years, but with my situation all that's left is the CS classes to get my bs.

I do not know, since I do not know the specific course prerequisites. On the other hand, CS courses require programming, which can be time consuming; thus you may find yourself running out of time to complete all programs on time.

also how does hiring look like? is it hard for someone who got the degree in 2 years to find jobs? since they will have less experience in internships and less experience over time?

It should make no difference.

also ... but would having a biology degree help you with certain jobs?

Yes, if you can find a place to work that needs a biologist to do some programming.

also (just a wild thought) but would having a biology degree help you with certain jobs?

Yes, if you can find a place to work that needs a biologist to do some programming.

It could, if you plan to go into a the very narrow and specific field of writing data analysis or middleware applications specifically geared towards biologists and biological research.

It may help some if you're planning to go work for a gen engineering firm or maybe one of the big seed companies (Monsanto, Pioneer here in the US), since you'll already have at least some idea of what drives their business.

Otherwise, no, though it certainly won't hurt.

You might find yourself doing classified work in the future with that type of specialization. I do not know of any industrial need for a computational biologist, but if your working with the genome, it's necessary. I can't really get into details about this, but you might find this video interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsVy28pDsYo

This is actually my field of expertise. If you're looking for insight, feel free to contact me. This type of research is currently curing learning disorders, or getting very close to say the least.