Synthesizing a co-block Polymer, ideas?

Matonis

I have a Block Co-Polymer that is a type of fiber with an FTIR spectrum very similar to hair.

I need to some how break down a fiber, and synthesize it. If I could, which I can't, this could mean simply melting it and pouring the molten fiber into a mold. What are some methods that you can suggest I try? I feel that dialysis could be a option (spin in tubing, against acid or acetate based solution in hopes that something permeates through). I need to choose this route as opposed to artificial synthesizing because the material I'm looking at is incredibly complex to the point where mixing and chaining peptides would be very expensive (no one has successfully taken something like a synergy instrument and re-created it). I have FTIR scans and a decent amount of samples so I know what the end product should look like.

Properly re-assembling a complex molecular structure that has been broken down is what we're discussing.

Hair thinner?

I really need some 3rd party input, this is something new to me and there could be a very easy solution. I originally put this in the BioChem & Molecular Biology section but it hasn't gotten any replies, the chemistry forum looks to be where the parties are at...

Thank you.

Let's imagine that your material is a natural fibre with better mechanical properties than silk...

I vaguely suppose that its properties result from the synchronization of the peptides among the parallel macromolecules that make the fibre, within a cross section, and not from a particular sequence of the peptides within one macromolecule. After all, the "adhesion" between the macromolecules defines a fiber's strength better than the macromolecule alone does. (And the strength of a rope results very partially from the fiber)

Then, the unexplained strength of the not-so-mysterious fibre would result from the way it's produced by the organism, not from its detailed composition, whose peptide sequence can be largely random.

"You can't" melt and extrude a fibre, but exactly that would be useful! Because if my explanation attempt hold, this would ruin the fiber's strength even if the composition is kept in detail.

----------

From the time when I'm a mechanical designer, I'd like to stress that of course, I need ropes that are stronger, stiffer, lighter, and resist UV and water... First, man-made fibers already outperform all natural ones (yes, all). But even more, I need materials with unusual properties!

Mankind needs fibers that accept a big elongation, restore the elongation energy fully and quickly (better than PA6 does), and are strong enough to propagate sound faster than 340m/s. Many uses still rely on catgut for that, what a shame. There are some $$$ to earn if you achieve it, even if your material is expensive.

Fibers that accept a big elongation energy but don't restore it, or restore it slowly, would be very useful as well. In crash-test machines I used polyurethane, but only in compression, with little choice in the force-to-area ratio, and over short paths. A fibre instead would give more choice and work in tension over a long path. Reuseable would be preferable, not mandatory. Maybe something like meta-aramide, but alas the suppliers make only papersheet of it, no ropes.

Let's imagine that your material is a natural fibre with better mechanical properties than silk...

I vaguely suppose that its properties result from the synchronization of the peptides among the parallel macromolecules that make the fibre, within a cross section, and not from a particular sequence of the peptides within one macromolecule. After all, the "adhesion" between the macromolecules defines a fiber's strength better than the macromolecule alone does. (And the strength of a rope results very partially from the fiber)

Then, the unexplained strength of the not-so-mysterious fibre would result from the way it's produced by the organism, not from its detailed composition, whose peptide sequence can be largely random.

"You can't" melt and extrude a fibre, but exactly that would be useful! Because if my explanation attempt hold, this would ruin the fiber's strength even if the composition is kept in detail.

----------

From the time when I'm a mechanical designer, I'd like to stress that of course, I need ropes that are stronger, stiffer, lighter, and resist UV and water... First, man-made fibers already outperform all natural ones (yes, all). But even more, I need materials with unusual properties!

Mankind needs fibers that accept a big elongation, restore

I may be of assistance in the future with the a elastic fiber that regains its yield point after a short period of time.

I agree with your assessment on rope strength, that the strength is derived largely from the friction as opposed to the fibers themselves.

So, any suggestions on breaking the fibre down? I have ideas on building it back up, the difficulty is dissolving it without completely throwing off the chemistry for when I "re-make" it.