I need to dissolve and reform a polymer, how?

I have a Block Co-Polymer that is a type of fiber with an FTIR spectrum very similar to hair.

I need to some how break down a fiber, and synthesize it. If I could, which I can't, this could mean simply melting it and pouring the molten fiber into a mold. What are some methods that you can suggest I try? I feel that dialysis could be a option (spin in tubing, against acid or acetate based solution in hopes that something permeates through). I need to choose this route as opposed to artificial synthesizing because the material I'm looking at is incredibly complex to the point where mixing and chaining peptides would be very expensive (no one has successfully taken something like a synergy instrument and re-created it). I have FTIR scans and a decent amount of samples so I know what the end product should look like.

Properly re-assembling a complex molecular structure that has been broken down is what we're discussing.

Hair thinner?

I really need some 3rd party input, this is something new to me and there could be a very easy solution.

Thank you.

Edited by Matonis

Radical polymerization is one of the standards of polymers. A radical is introduced and the bond is made generating a successive radical. Exothermal/endothermal considerations should be taken into account. Peroxide is a good one due to the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere. There is also the potential to polymerize with UV irradiation.

You're saying similar to hair. To "re"-polymerize something I would consider electro-chemistry. Sulfate ions have a strong electrical potential. SO4-2 + 2 e-> S2O8-2 is a reaction I have long been interested in seeing put to use. I think this is the same concept as the hair straightener. If sulfate could then be precipitated out, the repolymerization would be done with either a catalyst or hydrogen peroxide at your convenience. In theory, you could plate out the results. Sulfur requires platinum electrodes. But you can also dissolve an electrode deliberately.

BTW it would take a few days to a week to breakdown probably.

I think MSM, Methylsulfonylmethane, could have solvency interactions.

Edited by vampares

Radical polymerization is one of the standards of polymers. A radical is introduced and the bond is made generating a successive radical. Exothermal/endothermal considerations should be taken into account. Peroxide is a good one due to the presence of oxygen in the atmosphere. There is also the potential to polymerize with UV irradiation.

You're saying similar to hair. To "re"-polymerize something I would consider electro-chemistry. Sulfate ions have a strong electrical potential. SO4-2 + 2 e-> S2O8-2 is a reaction I have long been interested in seeing put to use. I think this is the same concept as the hair straightener. If sulfate could then be precipitated out, the repolymerization would be done with either a catalyst or hydrogen peroxide at your convenience. In theory, you could plate out the results. Sulfur requires platinum electrodes. But you can also dissolve an electrode deliberately.

BTW it would take a few days to a week to breakdown probably.

I think MSM, Methylsulfonylmethane, could have solvency interactions.

First off, thank you.

Secondly, which of these processes deals with breaking the substance down? Should I conceptualize this process more as swapping in and out polymer parts, as opposed to breaking down?

I will talk with a colleague while I wait for your answer, I will keep you updated with what I end up doing.

Edited by Matonis