A paternity problem, could you help?

p0psicle

I've recently discovered my blood type is B+, but both my mother and my father have blood type O. I double checked it so I'm sure it's B. My parents did their blood types when they got married (at least). However, it's impossible for me to have B type when my parents both have O, because I must have gotten the B from one of them.

So I'm worried that my father might not be my father. I look completely like my mother and there is no obvious resemblance with my father, apart from a wider nose tip and maybe the way my feet look.

I know my mother used to fool around back in the day (yes, around the time I was conceived) with her ex-husband, which DOES have the B type blood. I don't really look like him either, except my rather hairy arms, which both my mother and my (known) father don't have (and it's a dominant trait as far as I know).

I'm unsure of what to believe! I've even considered being sick and my blood type changing because of cancer or God knows what... but that's still an unlikely scenario. Besides, I don't know if it changed because this is the first time I've tested for my blood type. My mother always assured me that I must have O blood type because both her and dad have O. My mom always seemed to be very sure my father was my father.

I have my known father's wider nose tip (my mom has a thin nose) - but the blood type matches my mother's ex husband (which also has a thinner nose). And I also resemble my known father's mother very much.

I can't do a genetic test, I can't even tell my father that I have a different blood type because I want to keep this a secret.

What are the odds that my dad is not my dad? I know broad noses are dominant, so one of my parents must have had a broader nose (my dad). But also one of them must have had B blood type and hairy arms, and that's my mom's ex husband.

What is the likelihood that my blood type changed from O to B because of some illness?

I also attached a photo of me (right), my dad (middle) and my mother's ex (left).

post-101941-0-67496600-1383922316_thumb.jpg

Assuming the left and right are from the perspective of the people in the picture and you are the girl and your mom's ex is in the blue shirt...

You look like your mom's ex. If you showed the picture without labels and asked which was your father, that's who I'd have picked based on general shaped of the face, cheeks and smile.

That's going off a single photograph, though, and without reference to what your mother looks like. It's also not a DNA analysis.

I just had a close family member deal with an almost identical situation (it was a DNA test against a cousin for genealogical purposes. They came back unrelated. Further testing against a sibling came back showing them to be half-siblings).

If you want to know for sure one way or another without involving your father (or potential father), getting tested against a sibling or someone on your father's side of the family would work approximately as well. Barring your mother knowing one way or the other (and she may legitimately think she does and still be mistaken, as was the case in the aforementioned situation), genetic testing is pretty much your one route to settling the issue. There's not much way around it that I can think of.