red blood cells

nemzy

Can anyone correct me if im wrong? This is basic basic basic basic basic basic biology, and i am just trying to refresh my memory and make sure that i am stating the correct facts

1) General concepts about tonicity

----

Lets say for example, we have a red blood cell exposed to solutions of different tonicity (hypo, iso, hyper)

If the red blood cell was hypotonic to the solution, then the red's blood cell volume will increase, and ultimatey lysing the cell.

If the red blood cell was iso to the solution, it will make no differenfce

If the red blood cell was hyper to the solution, the cell would shrivel as water will leave the cell and thus losing volume in the red blood cell.

2) Lets say for example, the isotonic concentrations for the red blood cell's was exposed to different solution of increasing osmlarity but equal concnetration. If this was to happen, osmosis would be in equilibrium, since osmosis is only determnined only by a difference in total solute concentration, nut just spefically different solutions.

3) If polar molecules of increasing molecular weight was introduced to the red blood cell plasma membrane, then how would the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane change? Well, first of all , it is very hard for a polar molecule to pass thru the membrane, let alone the size. So, the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane would greatly be reduced.

So am i stating the correct facts. Or are they any more stuff that can be added to my concepts? If im wrong anywhere, can you show me where and why?

thanks

Can anyone correct me if im wrong? This is basic basic basic basic basic basic biology' date=' and i am just trying to refresh my memory and make sure that i am stating the correct facts

1) General concepts about tonicity

----

Lets say for example, we have a red blood cell exposed to solutions of different tonicity (hypo, iso, hyper)

If the red blood cell was hypotonic to the solution, then the red's blood cell volume will increase, and ultimatey lysing the cell.

If the red blood cell was iso to the solution, it will make no differenfce

If the red blood cell was hyper to the solution, the cell would shrivel as water will leave the cell and thus losing volume in the red blood cell.

2) Lets say for example, the isotonic concentrations for the red blood cell's was exposed to different solution of increasing osmlarity but equal concnetration. If this was to happen, osmosis would be in equilibrium, since osmosis is only determnined only by a difference in total solute concentration, nut just spefically different solutions.

3) If polar molecules of increasing molecular weight was introduced to the red blood cell plasma membrane, then how would the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane change? Well, first of all , it is very hard for a polar molecule to pass thru the membrane, let alone the size. So, the rate of transport across the red blood cell membrane would greatly be reduced.

So am i stating the correct facts. Or are they any more stuff that can be added to my concepts? If im wrong anywhere, can you show me where and why?

thanks[/quote']

I think you are stating it backwards - it is the solution that is hypo, or hypertonic - not the cell.

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/glossary/hypotonic.html

Glossary Definition - Hypotonic

A Hypotonic solution is one in which the concentration of electrolyte is below that in cells. In this situation osmotic pressure leads to the migration of water into the cells, in an attempt to equalize the electrolyte concentration inside and outside the cell walls. If the difference in concentration is significant, the cell walls may rupture, leading to the death of the cell. Consequently, it is vital that the electrolyte concentration of liquids used during blood transfusions be equal to that in cells.