Hep C

coquina

I belong to another forum for the "involuntarily unspoused". The spouses of a couple of the members died from Hepatitis C - one of them posted the following - is it true?

HCV(HEPC) is a terrible disease. It was hidden for about 30years in my DH before it started doing its terrible stuff. He was so worried that he had given it to me. He cried when i was tested negative.

It's amazing that we don't hear more about HCV. I heard some place that there are millions who have this 'hidden' killer and they don't know. Blood banks did not start testing for it until 1992. So anyone, who received blood before this time could have it.

DH's doctors said it's a hearty virus that can lay dormant on a tooth brush, a razor, a hairbrush for a very long time (unlike the fragile HIV) and if you come in contact with it and you have an open sore, you can get it. You can't even kill the sucker with clorox!

Its extremely rare to be infected having sex,its not specifically a STD.regarding toothbrushes,razors it will only be present if the infected person has passed blood onto the items.It does not lay dormant on toilet seats or any other items outside the body,longer than two-three days.As a bloodborne infection HCV occurs more in drug users and needle shareing.

Its extremely rare to be infected having sex,its not specifically a STD.regarding toothbrushes,razors it will only be present if the infected person has passed blood onto the items.It does not lay dormant on toilet seats or any other items outside the body,longer than two-three days.[/b']As a bloodborne infection HCV occurs more in drug users and needle shareing.

That was my impression as well. What about the ability to lie dormant for years undetected in someone who had a blood transfusion before 92? I know they always asked if you'd ever had jaundice, and if you had, you couldn't donate. Do you think it's possible there are a bunch of unknowing Hep C carriers out there?

Possibly many cases of HCV out there.All though there is no vaccine,there are drugs which combat it,with positive results.

Aparently a large proportion of liver transplants are caused by HCV,though the exact figures i dont know.

I wouldnt worry though,personal hygeine reduces the risk of infection to minute levels.Your not exactly going to share someones toothbrush are you!