My solipsistic car

Z07

My car is unique. It was designed to a price and assembled by UAW workers. It is not the fastest car. It doesn't have the most comfort, interior space, or best brakes. But it does something that no other car has ever done and no other vehicle, for that mater, can do.

It sits perfectly still at all times.

You may think that a car that doesn't move would be a bad thing. Most of the time you'd be right (given a particular frame of reference). But even though my car does not move itself, it remains in one point in space-time and shifts the entire universe relative to its location. So while my car sits at the very hub of creation its engine. drivetrain. and wheels then exert a force that causes the next desired location to become closer and closer until the place arrives under my car and I get out.

Too bad you can't have one too. :( But if you are ever brought near to my car as the universe moves past I'll wave!

LOL

Sorry Z, your car doesn't sit still, even with the engine turned off and wheels blocked, because the Earth rotates and orbits the Sun, the Sun orbits the galaxy, and the galaxy is moving relative to other galaxies. Each molecule and atom in your car move, because they are at a temperature above absolute zero. This is a science forum, and everything moves.

Except, maybe, some rigid people who post here.

Edited by EdEarl

I don't think there is a law against defining your own frame of reference... however, if you observe the entire universe from your own personal frame of reference (which is your car), then please don't expect the rest of the world to adapt to that, and please don't expect the world to engage in a conversation with you.

So, if you have a 1-person frame of reference, why are you on a public forum? Why not write a diary? (This is not meant as an offense: I am just trying to help you deal with your rather limiting frame of reference!).

Ed,

What you say is mostly true for other cars. But this one is, in fact at the very hub of existence. The rest of the universe does move but not as you suggest with Earth revolving and orbiting Sun. The Earth, being so close to my car, can't possibly move that much. Picture a pizza baker whirling the dough. The further from the center the faster it moves with respect to the center.

Captain,

Thanks for the lesson in socialization. It is all too clear from your post that you are indeed the expert.

• 2 weeks later...