anaesthetic effect on memory

toolman

Hi, just wondering how anaesthetic effects the memory in long term. For example, when i broke my arm about 5 years ago, i had to have a general anaesthetic. when i woke up i remebered nothing, but the other day, i remembered having a tube in my thoat to help me breate. How comes i only jsut remembered that now and not in the last 5 years?

Fake memory I´d guess. By the time you have a tube in your throat you are almost dead. No breathing, no conciousness, heart activity stabilized by Atropine. Imho it´s very unlikely your brain realized this, not to speak of the fact that i can hardly imagine how you recognize a tube in your throat without being able to move your hands or to feel pain.

The only thing I remember about the anesthesia I had when I was about 9 years old was that it smelled like a bad nail polish remover, and when the doctor said "count backwards from 10" I was out before I hit 9. lol.