Electron injection into a clump of Tungsten, ideas?

Zangetshumody

Hello, I'm trying to build a contraption, and one of major elements, or obstacles I'm trying to solve (hopefully with your aid!) is the injection of extra electrons into the inner orbitals of some tungsten atoms (the orbital just below the full S orbital that hangs around in the electron sea-- the inner 5d orbital). So what would the the easiest way to pump a lot of extra electrons into my clump of tungsten atoms look like? I don't require the electrons stay there, but they do have to be taken into those orbitals at some point...

The answer might be really simple, but my general understanding of how electrostatic electrons can be become internal electrons is limited.... Perhaps I can get a compound that just needs sunlight to dump a whole lot of electrons onto my tungsten... Since my general scheme is rather experimental, it would be awesome if someone could show me a process that injects and affixes the electrons into the 5d orbital (while the clump of tungsten is just metallic ally bonded to itself) that is renewable.

(edit: I'm not talking about crystal tungsten)

Any ideas?

-thanks

Edited by Zangetshumody

What do you call "a lot" of extra electrons? Tungsten has only two electrons "above" 5d, so more than two electrons added to 5d couldn't be removed from 6s, and then tungsten would be an ion, which is hard to accumulate.

In addition, 5d4 6s2 refers to an isolated atom, not to normal tungsten which has metallic bonds. In heavy elements, the chemical bonds affect deeper shells, not just the most external one.

Maybe have an alloy instead of pure tungsten? Several atoms of a very oxidable metal could transfer many electrons to one nearby tungsten ion? Oxidable metals tend to be light and separate from dense ones, so alloying may require the proper element and possibly rapid solidification techniques. Ba, Hf, Ta...?

Anyway, this depends on tungsten having a 5d shell in the state you desire. "Clump of tungsten" may be difficult.

One of the many theories about cuprates is that some atom layers give or take electrons to the layers that superconduct. As well, silicon could be made superconductor when super-concentrated doping was achieved.

(For those interested: http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showtopic=22292, inject holes without doping)

Hence my question, if you try to make tungsten superconduct by providing it more electrons.

From the available differences of extraction potential, and from an arbitrary permittivity of 5, the maximum distance between an electron donor and tungsten would be one atomic layer (in which case permittivity loses sense). So the only hope would be an alloy where tungsten atoms, or at most, monoatomic layers of tungsten, are surrounded by donor atoms.

This is the case in cuprates and oxypnictides, where for some crystal orientation, all atoms of one type are in the same plane, and are surrounded immediately by different atom planes. You'd have to reproduce a similar crystal arrangement with tungsten.

Whether we can call metallic electrons 5d... Electrons do what they want. Letting orbitals interfere is only an approximation, and restricting the sum to 5d is an arbitrary choice.