Hardware Instillation Probs

ed84c

I can nolonger install hardware on my Compaq Presiaro PC, because of an 'I/O thread exit, or application request' I figured it might be something to do with windows firewall, but that was turned off.

I sort of have Norton Firewall (It claims im at the end of the trial and shoud register and that it is disabled, but now and again it promts me due to a programme accesing the internet etc).

Any ideas how to solve this?

yes, firstly get a firewall that is 100% working...

then, you say you cant instal hardware due to I/O thread exit or application request... well an app request shouldnt stop hardware being installed.

what hardware?

is it compatable?

you could try reinstalling windows which can be done without formatting and it ~20mins

if it were a dell computer you could run the dell diagnostics CD and that'd prob help a lot, but its not, see if you have an equivelent diagnostics CD, the dell one can run from boot-up, or you boot-up off the CD and then scan hardware etc for errors.