How close to a generator do I need to be?

Renaureal

Hey guys!

I was reading Deception Point by Dan Brown where he mentioned that his explorers were able to recharge the batteries of their microbot simply by placing it "near the cylinder of an electric generator".

I was wondering whether recharging would actually be possible without direct connection to the generator.

Would that be an effect of the 'leaking' magnetic field? Still, how can only exposure to a magnetic field raise the potential of charges stored in the batteries?

That made me confused and any help would be most appreciated :)

There is much to speculate about here, but the principle is clear. Magnetic lines from a generator will surround the generator; although, they will be weak compared to inside the generator. The magnetic field external to the generator will generate currents in nearby wiring circuits. A diode in the circuit will create DC current and can charge a battery.

There is much to speculate about here, but the principle is clear. Magnetic lines from a generator will surround the generator; although, they will be weak compared to inside the generator. The magnetic field external to the generator will generate currents in nearby wiring circuits. A diode in the circuit will create DC current and can charge a battery.

Ed, is wireless charging like this what is called resonant inductive coupling?

Ed, is wireless charging like this what is called resonant inductive coupling?

tyvm

In answer to the topic question, "How close to a generator do I need to be?" One can only guess, but it would have to be fairly close, and depends on several factors including the type of generator, the battery voltage, and circuit construction.

Edited by EdEarl

tyvm

In answer to the topic question, "How close to a generator do I need to be?" One can only guess, but it would have to be fairly close, and depends on several factors including the type of generator, the battery voltage, and circuit construction.

Is tyvm another way of saying yes? I wasn't sure so I was asking if that's what it's called.

Is tyvm another way of saying yes? I wasn't sure so I was asking if that's what it's called.

Sorry, I am slightly dyslexic and sometimes misread. I do not know if it is resonant or not, but is certainly inductive coupling. As I recall resonance requires a tuned circuit, and whether the circuit in question is tuned to the primary frequency (e.g., 60Hz) or a harmonic depends on the inductance and capacitance within the circuit. More energy would be transferred if the circuit is resonant to the primary frequency or within a couple of octaves, but some energy would transfer in any case.

Sorry, I am slightly dyslexic and sometimes misread. I do not know if it is resonant or not, but is certainly inductive coupling. As I recall resonance requires a tuned circuit, and whether the circuit in question is tuned to the primary frequency (e.g., 60Hz) or a harmonic depends on the inductance and capacitance within the circuit. More energy would be transferred if the circuit is resonant to the primary frequency or within a couple of octaves, but some energy would transfer in any case.

Oh okay, thank you!