Higgs boson explained?

too-open-minded

So I was talking to some guy today who apparently has a bachelors in physics and he said about 2 months ago it was announced that the higgs equation has been better figured out, that the mass comes out correctly now in the equation. Is this true? I can't find any info on it in any search engine.

I can't seem to find it but I remember seeing an article in which claimed scientists finally found enough evidence to confirm it's existence by looking at the paths particles took in the hadron collider, something like this http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/14/tech/innovation/higgs-boson-god-particle/index.html?iref=allsearch. Supposedly they have imaginary mass which is why we do not see their existence until they interact with matter and energy, much like virtual particles.

Edited by SamBridge

From what I understand and this is just Wikipedia and Through the wormhole with morgan freeman, We know it exists due to the experiments with the Hadron collider. Although weve only barley detected its presence and when we try to put it into an equation its mass comes out distorted, the equation isn't equal. This is from what I understand though and I may be giving some misleading or misinterpreted information.

From what I understand and this is just Wikipedia and Through the wormhole with morgan freeman, We know it exists due to the experiments with the Hadron collider. Although weve only barley detected its presence and when we try to put it into an equation its mass comes out distorted, the equation isn't equal. This is from what I understand though and I may be giving some misleading or misinterpreted information.

The Higgs mass is not a prediction of the standard model, but it is a prediction of the minimal supersymmetric standard model (MSSM). Given the other messured parameters of the standard model than can be fed into the MSSM the lower limit of the Higgs should be about 115 GeV or so. However CERN experiments suggest it is closer to 125 GeV.

This is a little heavier than expected by the MSSM, but it probabily does not rule the MSSM out. It maybe possible that supersymmetry is not teh answer or that we have to use more complicated theoreis than just the minimal one. We will have to see what happens.