Poster presentation in mathematics (computational science)

oTo

Hey guys

I kinda new to forum so if I open topic in wrong section don't judge me to much smile.png)

I have poster presentation soon in math and I have not really done anything yet (yeah I know, my bad)

I don't even have topic (even worse, I know)

I'm thinking about doing about pi (as it's so awesome/special) or about e (special as well), but expect some basic stuff and proofs I need something where those are used in some special way, what makes them special in particular and then specifically in solving that problem (which I should introduce)

I would be really thankful if you give any ideas about what/how to do it, what sources to use and all kind of staff that I may find helpful

Thanks in advance smile.png

Edited by oTo

Hmm.... What makes π so special to you?

first of all that it's infinite and non repeating, meaning that in pi there is every number, every combination that will have to do something with my life. and if you convert this number to ASCII encoding you will get every name that will as some point of your life associated with you, wife, kid, friend, name of bear you drink, name of place you go for summer vacation and so on, absolutely everything

another fascinating this is that actual length of river is nearly equal to distance from start to end (straight line) times pi

so if actual length is A, and distance from start to end B

A =~ B*pi

it needs to be multiplied somewhere form 3 to 3.14 but never exceeds pi

enough reasons or do you need more?

If you want to give a poster presentation... you may want to google stuff like "scientific poster presentation" or similar terms.

You haven't gone into a far enough description of what kind of undergraduate math class this is. You haven't gone into the details of the assignment. So far, you haven't been very descriptive at all. if you're going to make a poster presentation, you need to be descriptive, concise, and quick to get your point across.

Pi is a fair irrational number to cover as a poster presentation, unless you're working with recent original research in the realm of mathematics. And if that is the case, you may want to review some academic math journals and give a description of something that is being discussed that you understand to a fair enough degree and can at least explain to the audience. If you can understand what the author is discussing, then you should be able to discuss it to an audience during a poster presentation.

Otherwise, you'll be giving a discussion on Pi, introducing its discovery, discussing its uses, talking about some recent develops (even if those are over 100 years old), and potential for future research and understanding (if you can find sources to provide such information to an audience). Perhaps pi could be used in order to compare any new theories to replace what Pi has been used for in the past.

Edited by Genecks

My advice is not to include too much on a poster. No-one will read huge blocks of text, key points and diagrams are far better. I have seen some posters at mathematics conferences that just won't get fully read. Remember a poster is not the same as a paper!

As for your first part, any infinite, non-repeating number will do, and it's only a trivial kind of numerology, which might not "make the grade" {literally} for an undergrad poster.

As for your second part on river sinuosity, I have never seen a river with such a ratio as pi, and I bet you can't show me one either. Cut a rubber band or piece of string, measure its length, divide by pi, and set the ends that far apart. That's A LOT of sinuosity!