zigzag line on periodic table...aka?

Guest kornpopz

Guest kornpopz

I was jus wondering........I have read many chemistry books throughout my life and taken numerous chemistry classes...but i have yet to have heard another name for the zigzag line which separates metals from nonmetals...doesnt "zigzag line" sound a little "unscientific"? im sure there is another name for it and if anybody knows please reply on this thread....thnx

Yup. Pretty much anything to the left, or beneath, the line is a metal, and anything to the right, or above, the line is a non-metal. Those elements which are right on the line are typically considered as 'semi-metallic' substances such as antimony, silicon, germanium, tellurium, etc.

note to all: "metal" and "nonmetal" is really subjective. thats why i don't think of elements in such terms. for example, when i think of antimony, i think of a dark toxic solid with little luster. it gains a positive formal charge of +3 or +5 predominantly but can gain a negative formal charge of -3 predominantly. etc

when i think of silicon i think of carbon but with less potential to form huge molecules. i think of semiconductors. i think of 4 not-too-polar bonds. etc.

I was jus wondering........I have read many chemistry books throughout my life and taken numerous chemistry classes...but i have yet to have heard another name for the zigzag line which separates metals from nonmetals...doesnt "zigzag line" sound a little "unscientific"? im sure there is another name for it and if anybody knows please reply on this thread....thnx

Google says its called a metalloid line

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jan99/915517377.Ch.r.html

Guest kornpopz

thanx all for ur responses...i know its not a really important matter..but...sometimes..i jus wonder........how do they fight about what sounds more scientific in nomenclatures of biology..etc...and leave soemthing that sound as if a first grader named it.........again.......thnx.......and sorry for the two threads... :)