How to connect internet to Brain ?

Solve

How to connect Internet directly to brain so that people no need to waste time (1 - 19 years) in uploading info to their brain ( which gets lost as time passes by ,wasting more time in re uploading it), ?

By this way people can directly get data from net. Brain should act as a processor, not as a storage + processor. Instead net should act as brain's storage system , the brain's own memory should only be used as a cache memory + ram + secret memories.

Nice idea! I'd love a direct mental interface to Google. :)

Isn't part of the problem that it's not just about information storage and retrieval?

Yes we could short cut the time required to learn information. But there's no short cut to learning how to understand it is there? Also no short cut to learning how to judge whether information is valid or not.

You use should a lot, it doesn't matter what the brain should do. It does what it does, and how it incorporates information is not much like a computer at all. Even if you could have 19 years of pure information upload you would forget it just as easily as you would forget things learning them normally. And that's assuming you could even do something like that, which, for the record, I highly doubt.

Well, since objects like metal don't provide the same form of input that our eyes and ears and other senses provide, they typically get rejected. To solve the problem of rejection, you need something that the body uses and need to make an interface out of that. To the best of my knowledge, hair is very efficient for transferring energy and has been used to cheapen the cost of solar panels. So people have successfully used hair to catch and transmit energy, so that is a plausible solution to the rejection problem. But as for translating the internet to sensory input, that will require research. I'm willing to help.

All information we receive is in the form of pressure fluctuations (good thing to remember).

But it's not "just" an interface problem. It's a problem of how sense is made of the information that's stored and retrieved.

One can imagine an electronic retrieval system for the brain which provided answers to concepts you understand like what is the capital of France or how do I make a cheesecake.

But if my brain had access to complex information like a full description of advanced quantum physics this would be no use to me unless I fully understood the concepts.

What we really need is an ap for the brain that adds intelligence and comprehension!

Edited by Griffon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Brainwaves are an electromagnetic phenomenon. I wouldn't doubt if sometime in the future scientists could develop a way to integrate our physical biology with computer systems to allow synchronization between humans and computers, but I think it would be after our time.

Scientists have been working to understand the brain for quite some time, and their discoveries are impressive. I recently posted Hierarchical Temporal Memory in Science News, and the youtube link by Jeff Hawkins has some info relevant to this discussion. Other researchers have been able to link directly to a neuron, and believe they can eventually connect a fiber optic cable to many neurons. Moreover, they can genetically alter neurons to fluoresce when a neuron fires, and make neurons fire when stimulated by light.

See:

Watching a Rat Brain Think about Running

IMO we will not be able to dump the information learned over many years, nor load the brain very very fast instead of learning as we do now. I can only work as fast as we currently think, observe, and feel, as Jeff Hawkins said.