Old IDE cable

5614, yes it is one of the old ones and yes, it will work on modern systems, just a bit slow.

I use them regularly for a vintage machine I have. (P1 120 mhz It's for playing the old DOS games, and yes it's loaded with Dos 6.22. :D )

Personally, I find it handy to have a spare lying around so I can grab any HDD and plug it into a system without having to unplug anything else. If you don't constantly have computers in bits though, it's probably not much use to you.

yeah, um the reason i have this cable is because theres a computer in so many bits behind me on the floor that its come down to individual cables!

ive taken the caps outta the power pack, magnets outta the HDD and the motheboard is the most ornamental piece in my room!

i will keep it as it probably will be useful at some time however i will also keep in mind that it is slower... does anyone know transfer rates for both types of IDE cable so we can compare em?

• 2 weeks later...

just added another 512MB RAM to my comp making a total of 1GB or should i say 1024MB or 1.024GB.... anyway i looked at the IDE cable and it is a lot finer with about 80 wires... that image i posted in post#24 really is realistic and accurate.

just added another 512MB RAM to my comp making a total of 1GB or should i say 1024MB or 1.024GB.... anyway i looked at the IDE cable and it is a lot finer with about 80 wires... that image i posted in post#24 really is realistic and accurate.

Actually it's 1 gb, since a gig isn't exactly 1,000.

What would happen if I replaced my IDE with a slower one? How would the performance be affected? Would files load up more slowly?

1Gb = 1024Mb.

Actually it's 1 gb' date=' since a gig isn't exactly 1,000.

What would happen if I replaced my IDE with a slower one? How would the performance be affected? Would files load up more slowly?[/quote']

You're transferring the information more slowly. What do you think will happen?

1Gb = 1024Mb.

i know, that's why i said "or should i say..." because i didnt think i'd get away with saying 1GB of RAM when such a value of RAM doesnt exist!

You're transferring the information more slowly. What do you think will happen?

yes, data would travel slower along the IDE cable, upload and downloading info via the IDE cable would be slower, so writing/reading would be slower.

this all means that old IDE cables are not very useful.

I had exactly 1 gig of ram in my computer a while ago.

how so?

are you sure? because for example it says i have 1GB, but if i go to another source which gives a more detailed analysis to prove my knowledge i know its really 1.024GB

are you sure? because for example it says i have 1GB, but if i go to another source which gives a more detailed analysis to prove my knowledge i know its really 1.024GB

The latter source is incorrect. It's using the definition '1 gig = 1000 megs' which is utter tosh, because it's using 1 meg = 1024 k and 1 k = 1024 bytes. If it was consistent with that definition, it would say 1.074 gigs.

The main problem here is that it's not standardised whether 1000 or 1024 is used; mainly in the hard drive industry, where drive sizes are defined by 1000 because it makes the disk look bigger.

that only applies if you keep to the true values,

if you said:

1000byte = 1KB

1000KB = 1MB

1024MB = 1GB

therefore 120GB HDD = 122,880MB

obviously its all down to definition and standaristaion... its sad when companies deny the truth in the aim to sell more... + it just gets confusing!

like to think that 200,000,000,000 bytes = 186GB just sounds weird, although i just mathematically prooved it to myself! it just sounds unusual due to the way HDD companies have got rid of the 24's and replaced it with powers of 10.

1 gigabyte = 1 073 741 824 bytes

^ that is the truth. standardistaion is over 73million bytes out!

no, ok, what i meant was they havent changed HDDs to meet thier advert's claims.... instead they've "force base 10"... when it isnt really. its not designed to work in base 2, it DOES work in base 2.

yeah yeah, we are agreeing with each other.

what i meant by "standardistation" was that they are advertising something which is wrong (they say base 10 when its base 2) and therefore the general public think it works in base 10

the general public being the majority, therefore the majority think HDDs work in base 10, therefore it has become a standard thing that if you ask someone they will give you an answer in base 10.

whilst people here and some of my friends might give me a true base 2 answer, the average off the street john smith would not... its "standard" as in the majority think.

oh i dont know! you know what i mean, its base 2, advertising has made the majority of people falsely believe its base 10.

just to say, what we were saying applies to HDDs

previously we were talking about RAM, with RAM either:

a) i do have 1024MB exactly, base 2 where 2^10 = 1024

or

b) 'a' still applies but the 1024MB is technically not that due to the 1MB = 1000 (but really) = 1024KB advertising scam.

but which one?

in which case i DO have 1024MB of RAM exactly and therefore this statement:

The latter source is incorrect. It's using the definition '1 gig = 1000 megs' which is utter tosh, because it's using 1 meg = 1024 k and 1 k = 1024 bytes. If it was consistent with that definition, it would say 1.074 gigs.

is incorrect!