Quantifiers.

Here are two statments, the second one with a different order of the quantifiers. i understand what the first one says. can someone say what the second one means.

First

[math]\forall_{\varepsilon>0}\exists_{N\in\mathbb{N}}\forall_{n\ge N} |x-x_{n}|<\varepsilon[/math]

Second.

[math]\exists_{N\in\mathbb{N}}\forall_{\varepsilon>0}\forall_{n\ge N} |x-x_{n}|<\varepsilon[/math]

Lets do an example, let x_n = 1/n, which converges to 0 and satisfies the first one.

is the second one of these true (using x=0):

there is an N such that for all e>0 and all n> N, |1/n| < e

given that this N exists (and is fixed), what if I now pick e=1/2N?

Yes, so the idea that the first and second are the same we can clearly see is wrong by this example.

At the risk of simply repeating myself, the secoond one states that given a sequence x_n and some number x that

we can find AN integer N such that for all e>0 and all n>N we have that |x_n-x|<e

Consider the negation instead if that helps:

for all N there is an e>0 and an n>N such that |x_n-x| => e.

this implies the sequence is not eventually constant and equal to x since it states that no matter what N is ,there is a term after the N'th which is some positive distance from x. that is the sequence is not after any point always equal to x, agreed?

yes i got the last part of ur last post. I am still having troulbe understanding how the second statement implies the sequence is constant for n>N. what i am currently seeing ,looking at that statement , is that all of the x_n's are in the neighbourhood of x for n>N. but i dont see why x_n has to be constant.

Eventually constant.

If x_n is not eventually constant at x, then i can pick an infinite subsequence y_m of the x_n such that non of the y_n are equal to x: if it isn't constant I can find a first place where x_n differs, and then a second and so on...

(so I can assume that non of the x_n are equal to x by passing to a subsequence if i wihsed)

Let N be any integer, and let e=|y_{N+1}-x|/2

Then for this N I know that the assertion: for all e>0 and for all n>N |y_n-x|<e is false.

but this N was completely arbitrary so i've shown that if the sequence is not eventually constant at x then the condition is false.

or equivalently if the codnition is true then the sequence is eventually constant at x.