Career in Paleontology/Petroleum Geologist`

JuliusBravo1990

Dear Denizens of Scienceforums,

I've stumbled across this website once or twice when searching for explanations on cosmology, biology, etc. Recently I've been struggling with what career path I should choose, and so I want to ask for some advice. I dropped out of college a few years ago for personal issues that I won't go into. But I've always been set on going back. Recently, I've been in a position to go back to school. Before I dropped out of college I took a class on dinosaurs that reignited my passion for paleontology. I was planning on getting a job in the oil industry as a petroleum geologist as I understand they hire paleontologists for that sort of thing. I was wondering if it is feasible to be in the petroleum game and be a paleontologist? Does anyone have experience in petroleum geology or engineering and could share some helpful advice?

Dear Denizens of Scienceforums,

I've stumbled across this website once or twice when searching for explanations on cosmology, biology, etc. Recently I've been struggling with what career path I should choose, and so I want to ask for some advice. I dropped out of college a few years ago for personal issues that I won't go into. But I've always been set on going back. Recently, I've been in a position to go back to school. Before I dropped out of college I took a class on dinosaurs that reignited my passion for paleontology. I was planning on getting a job in the oil industry as a petroleum geologist as I understand they hire paleontologists for that sort of thing. I was wondering if it is feasible to be in the petroleum game and be a paleontologist? Does anyone have experience in petroleum geology or engineering and could share some helpful advice?

. Find your Interest/passion and spend your life doing your Interest/passion

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

The primary requirement within oil and gas work relating to palaeontology is for micropalaeontologists. These enable tight correlation of strata by identification of the species and variants within cuttings samples. The work is often farmed out to consultancy companies.

The primary requirement within oil and gas work relating to palaeontology is for micropalaeontologists

The two oil industry paleontolgy associated jobs I've seen hired into were both diatom experts hired on a contract basis, and both of them were PhDs with steady jobs teaching biology at the college level.

It ought to be possible to acquire expertise in the taxonomy and paleontology of diatoms, radiolarians, foraminiferans, etc, without investing in a PhD level course of study, but I don't know if an interest in dinosaurs extends in that direction.

• 1 month later...