Playing Videos

normally i play videos and listen to music on windows media player.

before i formatted my computer all was great.

then i formatted and i had windows media player v8, music played fine, films i could hear it, but all i saw was the visualisation effects.

so i upgraded to windows medis player v10 (latest one).

still music is fine and with films i can hear it, but cannot see it, what i do see is the visualisation effects.

what is it that makes this do it?

most likely you havent installed the required video codecs. http://www.free-codecs.com has plenty of codec packs. wont recommend you to isntall those. cos they are bloated like hell.

all you probably need is a divx and the xvid codec.

recommend you install ffdshow-alpha.

edit:ffdshow comes in three flavours. the fisrt one is generic. and the other two optimised for sse and sse2 instructions capable machines.

if u have amd athlon xp. i think it supports sse. if u have P4. then get the sse2 one.

to lance. Clirex is the a fily type. ist because you have associated the .avi fily type to some random clirex player. that why it says cliprex video file. I have associated my media files to winamp. thats why in mine it says winamp media file.

get the ffdshow. cos it has all the requierd decompressors like for xvid divx . and other stuff as well.

how embarassing... it was the codec packages!!!

i had assumed that when i installed windows media player it would come with all the basic codec packages i repquired, when i instaled v10 i thought that that'd come with the newer codecs packages.... stupid windows, cant even put video codecs in a media player!

thanks bloodhound though! ;)