Electromagnet challenge

Lance

Considering YT2095 has created a few challenges I thought I would make one myself

The winner will be the one with the highest score. The scoring formula will be W/VA=S.

W= the weight your electromagnet can continuously hold (in grams)

V=input voltage

A=current your magnet draws

Example: Your electromagnet can hold 1000 grams with a 12v power supply drawing 10A. 1000/120=8.33

The only rules are you MUST make the coil yourself. Other than that you can use any core, wire or power supply.

Pictures of your setup would be preferable.

well a nice soft iron core with thousands or twirls.

hmmmm, are we allowed to use a super conductor???? that'd be quite cool!

can we have an input voltage of say 12V and then put that through a transformer up to a few hundred volts?

all you really need is a small voltage and high current (or the other way around) and that'd keep your score up

in a superconductor if you have 0 ohm resistance and say 12V then you have 12/0 A... but you cant do 12/0 so what current do you have?

can we have an input voltage of say 12V and then put that through a transformer up to a few hundred volts?

The voltage is the input voltage of your electromagnet.

in a superconductor if you have 0 ohm resistance and say 12V then you have 12/0 A... but you cant do 12/0 so what current do you have?

No, if there was 0 resistance then theoretically it would draw unlimited power. Most power supplies are current limited though.