Acoustics

noz92

I wasn't sure which catagory this should go under, so I just put it here.

I was playing the violin and these question just popped into my head:

1.) What does the Pythagorean tetraktys (I think that's what it's called, something like that) have to do with music. What does 1+2+3+4 have to do with music?

2.) I know that on treble cleft, the note A is at 440Hz (or is it MHz?), but what are the other notes at?

3.) Pitch is cuase by the waves frequency, but what is loudness caused by?

4.) How does where I put my fingers on the strings effect how high or low the pitch is?

1) No idea what that is

2) An a is 440Hz and each octive is seperated by a note of doubled or halved frequency. So an a below that is 220Hz and above is 880Hz. I don't remember how to find the notes in between.

3) Loudness, I'm pretty sure, is proportional to amplitude.

4) As you said in #3, pitch is caused by frequency. Where you place your fingers determines the wavelength. Wavelength is inversly proportional to frequency. As wavelength shrinks (you move to a higher fret), the frequency increases, thus increasing pitch.

1) The frequencies of the other notes depend on the tuning. if you have a well-tempered instrument . the same music will sound different in different keys. (i.e the famous well temprered clavier -Bach).

Nowdays most instruments are equal tempered tuned. i.e every interval excpet the octave arent pure.

check this page out for more info.

http://www.jimloy.com/physics/scale.htm

or just google for well tempered tuning