George Lucas, the Star Wars Saga, and American History

Bill Angel

In the DVD edition of Star Wars III "Revenge of the Sith", George Lucas and his associates provide a running commentary to the movie as a separate audio track. On that track he explains the philosophy and motivation behind the Star Wars motion picture saga. He makes a statement that Richard Nixon, when he was President, wanted to get the Constitution amended so that he could serve a third term. This was evidence of a power grab on Nixon's part similar to what Lucas believes is embodied in the Star Wars Republic Chancellor's plot to become Emperor. The problem is that I am not familiar with any documentation that Nixon ever entertained the notion of getting the Constitution amended and consequently then serving a third term. So does George Lucas have a bogus grasp of certain aspects of American History?

Bill - you will find a fair amount of text about a story about 'The Committee to Repeal the Twenty-Second Amendment' supposedly set up by fans of Nixon. I cannot see any legitimate sources running with it though.

It all sounds like bad conspiracy theory to me - you can read an example here under the section Nixon resists his removal

http://modernhistoryproject.org/mhp?Article=FinalWarning&C=5.4