Intro to Chem? Or Principles of Chem?

Tension

Greetings all!

Question for the Chemistry buffs. I need to take Principles of Chemistry I & II for my degree in Biomedical Computing. The problem is, I haven't taken a chemistry course since high school, which would have been about 10 years ago. The school I'm currently attending has an Introduction to Chemistry course, but it states that it's for "non-science majors." Here are the descriptions:

CHEM 1020: Introduction to Chemistry

This course is intended as a broad introduction to chemistry for the non-science major. Topics covered include the scientific method, atomic structure, the periodic table, bonding, acids and bases, nomenclature, equations, stoichiometry, gas laws and oxidation and reduction. The laboratory introduces students to safe handling of chemicals, appropriate use of labware, and transcription of appropriate observations and data.

CHEM 1151: Principles of Chemistry 1

This course is the first part of a two-semester sequence designed to give students a broad introduction to the field of chemistry. This course will cover a general introduction to the scientific method, basic stoichiometry, thermodynamics, atomic and molecular structure and bonding, gas laws, solution chemistry, and environmental topics. The laboratory experiments illustrate concepts covered in the lecture material, emphasize experimental techniques and use computer assisted data acquisition and manipulation.

My question is, would it make sense to just take the Principles of Chemistry course and supplement it with a book like this?

I do well with mathematics and the sciences. I'm also interested in the subject matter. Is taking Principles of Chem before an intro class a bad idea?

Thanks in advance

Seems you are in a similar predicament as me. I am taking the introduction to Chemistry first, although it doesn't effect my degree, advisors are recommending I do. I would rather not take the chance of struggling or failing a class and have that blemish on my academic record (but it really depends on your circumstances and major). If you can afford to take the extra class to prepare and it's not going to have any major effect on your plans I say go for it and take the intro. Chemistry is very difficult, especially if you do not understand the basics properly, or so I am told.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice TimeTraveler.

I've decided to do the reasonable thing and take the introductory course. I realized I don't want to be struggling to catch up. The instructor states on their syllubus that good retention of H.S. Chem or the knowledge gained from the intro course is required for Principles 1151. I was mostly confused by the "non-science major" comment. They really need to reword the course descriptions.