HELP!!! Could I have some protein advice here!

Guest nadine12

Guest nadine12

Hello,

My names Nadine and I have a Protein structure essay to write. I've managed most of it but Im stuck on the question with the most marks!!! Please help me I don't want to fail!

Here is the paper as a whole.

Desribe how you would analyse the structur of a protein.Include the following in your essay:

*A brief outline of protein structure (10 marks)

*A description of the methods which can be used to obtain a pure sample(10 marks)

*A description of tecniques which can be used to identify the amino acid composition(10 marks)

*Details of the tecnique(s) used to work out the sequence of the primary structure (30 marks).

Im stuck on the last tw0o bullet points and I dont have much time.Please could you help me? Please send any help you may have back on this forum or my address crazy_hoe1@hotmail.com.

Much appreciated.

from what i can remember to identify carbohydrates you use a benidicts test, a non-reducing sugar test and a starch test, to test for lipids you use a emulsion test and to test for proteins you use a biuret test

1, benidicts solution, you add this to a sample and heat it, the solution should change from blue to brick red if there is a sugar present

2, non-reducing the benidicts test is performed if it doesnt work it is hydrolysed

3, emulsion test add methanol to sample shake then add to water a white emulsion should apper on the surface if fats or oils are present

4, biuret test you add dilute sodium hydroxide and dilute copper sulphate to the sample and a violet colour appears if a protein is present

and what the protein structure of ammino acids are called are in the following order

Primary, secondary tertiary and quaternary

see if any of this helps i might be able to give you some more information

Edit: proteins are made of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen

secondary proteins make keratine, this produces you finger nails and hair the secondary protein has two structures a helix and a pleated sheet

and a primary structure of protein is a linear sequence made of ammino acids and are held together by a peptide bond