Electro Culture

Xerster

I am a high school student developing an experiment on the topic of Electro Culture, the study of electricity on plant growth. I'm thinking that i will use 4 flatbeds with 36 kidney bean plants in each, while varying the amount of electric current on each flatbed to form my IVs. However, i'm not sure how to channel the electricity to the plant while still controlling the voltage. Also, it needs to be a safe setup. I can rent a generator if needed, but I've got no clue how to do this. I'm doing my own research now, but help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Xerster

If a DC current is just passing by on a plate, the electrons would bypass the plants entirely, like a bird on a wire.

An AC current might effect the plants. A square wave would have more of an effect if this were the case, I think.

I've seen green grass on catch fire on older electric fences.

I don't think electrical currents would ever have a positive effect on plants. If the electricity does channel into the plant, the water in the plant would undergo electrolysis. I think this would be almost always a bad thing.

Photosynthesis involves electrical potential. If there was a negative potential it may help pull the electrons across membranes but isolating the membrane would be nearly impossible for a high school biology student. You would need an oscilloscope, preferably an analog one (I don't know that a digital would work). With this you would need to analysis the plant. The first thing to do would be to learn how to read key strokes on a keyboard from 6 inches away. There is a signal that can be picked up, the probe acts like an antenna, you can add a coil to this.

Why don't you set up a circuit that would make stink bugs dance using a keyboard. That would be easier if you have fine motor skills.

You could make popcorn with an arc welder.

A more interesting experiment would be to see if l-methionine supplementation has an effect on the size of green peas. Green peas are naturally high in methionine and I would like to know if these plants will absorb exogenous methionine. If you like that idea I will tell you how to grow the peas quickly in a sterile enviroment.

Edited by vampares